Shock Extenders or Longer Bilsteins with only 3" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

momofx

Reaction score
I have 3" rear coil spacers installed on my 2010 Tahoe (got rid of shot air ride shocks and disabled compressor). I want to install some Bilstein 5100's in the rear but I noticed Bilstein has a 5100 made for high lifts but the oem replacement says 1" lift max...

If I get the oem 5100 can I just use shock extenders that came with the 3" spacer kit? Seems like the one made for higher lifts would be too long for a 3" lift...

On a side note, I had originally bought Suncore Shocks when doing the lift and was very dissapointed (LOTS of bouncing - dangerously). I installed 5100's in the front and wow back to being like oem in front :) So I decided to get them for the rear now and get rid of the junk Suncores.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yes you can use the spacer. The shock spring perch settings can preload the spring a little much at top notch.

OP
OP
M

momofx

Reaction score
Yes you can use the spacer. The shock spring perch settings can preload the spring a little much at top notch.

I already have used the 3" spacer under the stock springs in the rear. I was wondering if I could use the shock extenders with oem type 5100's since the 5100's that are made for a lifted truck say 4" or more OR do I HAVE to get the 5100's for 4" + lift although I'm at 3" ?

Sorry if this sounds confusing lol cos I sure am :p

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I already have used the 3" spacer under the stock springs in the rear. I was wondering if I could use the shock extenders with oem type 5100's since the 5100's that are made for a lifted truck say 4" or more OR do I HAVE to get the 5100's for 4" + lift although I'm at 3" ?

Sorry if this sounds confusing lol cos I sure am :p

In that case order longer shocks to cover the distance of lift with 3” spacers.

OP
OP
M

momofx

Reaction score
In that case order longer shocks to cover the distance of lift with 3” spacers.

Ok I will go ahead and try that - hope it does not throw my level off cos it sits dead on even now. Thanks!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Not for the rear it wont change anything. The lift is all from the spacer. Fronts can change if you set perch at different height than stock when using a spacer lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts