Shifting/Torque Converter Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zygocrybiate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe, 5.3L, 4WD, 247000 miles. It seems to not be locking the torque converter as readily as it used to, and it hunts between 3-4th gear. That happens when the engine is at 1300-2200 RPM. Part throttle, 40-50 MPH it will slide between the top gears unless I let off or give it more gas. Finally, 1 time out of five when I floor it, the engine will hit redline and the trans won't shift to next gear until i let off the gas, even when shifting manually. What do we think.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lubeguard shudder fix, probably 2-treeatments of the 2oz additive. Helped mine out quite a bit. Also had tuner work on it a bit and improved mine quite a bit. I'm going nearly 2yrs with it doing that exactly. Tine was done past weekend, but the shudder fix additive helped significantly.

OP
OP
Zygocrybiate

Zygocrybiate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lubeguard shudder fix, probably 2-treeatments of the 2oz additive. Helped mine out quite a bit. Also had tuner work on it a bit and improved mine quite a bit. I'm going nearly 2yrs with it doing that exactly. Tine was done past weekend, but the shudder fix additive helped significantly.
I will give that a try, how long does it take before the additive has an effect? Also, how long between treatments? Or did you do the treatments back to back.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe, 5.3L, 4WD, 247000 miles. It seems to not be locking the torque converter as readily as it used to, and it hunts between 3-4th gear. That happens when the engine is at 1300-2200 RPM. Part throttle, 40-50 MPH it will slide between the top gears unless I let off or give it more gas. Finally, 1 time out of five when I floor it, the engine will hit redline and the trans won't shift to next gear until i let off the gas, even when shifting manually. What do we think.
Unfortunately it sounds like your trans is on it's way out. Has it been rebuilt in those 247,000 miles because if not that's an amazing lifetime for a stock 4l60.

OP
OP
Zygocrybiate

Zygocrybiate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately it sounds like your trans is on it's way out. Has it been rebuilt in those 247,000 miles because if not that's an amazing lifetime for a stock 4l60.
No, it has not. I've had it since 172k and this is the first time it shown any issues. I've used the truck for towing, hauling, off roading you name it and it's been nothing but bullet proof.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put the first treatment in, I'll do the next in about 100 miles. Hopefully this helps!
I wouldn't hold your breath. Unfortunately I don't believe anything in a bottle is going to fix transmission problems like you describe. You'd be better off looking for rebuild options. It would better to at least plan for it as opposed to be hoping for an easy fix and find out that's not going to happen. Good luck with whatever comes my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas