Possible Torque Converter Issues….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McKenzie Wilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a used 2015 yukon slt with 164,000 miles on it back in October of 2022. It is a 6L80. I’ve drove about 12,000 miles since then, and just started having issues.

It started shuddering whenever I would give it slight throttle to keep up my speed. Typically in 5 or 6th gear. We had the transmission fluid flushed, changed, and a new filter put on. After this, the issue seemed to improve and it would only shudder when going up a hill giving it steady throttle to keep up my speed. Also, right before it starts shuddering the rpms will get just a little jumpy. This typically happens between 1400-1800 rpm’s. If I give it more gas and get the rpm’s up it will not shudder. Before changing the fluid it would shudder even on roads without an incline. So the fluid flush/ change definitely helped.

Anyways, we decided to add a tube of lubegard instant shudder fix to the transmission fluid. Since then it hasn’t shuddered once. We’ve drove it about 100 miles and a lot on mountain roads to test it out.

Has anyone had luck with the instant shudder fix? If so, for how long? I’m wondering if we should still go ahead and replace the torque converter? I travel a lot with my kids (2 under age 3) and I’d really prefer to not be stranded somewhere.

Even though the shuddering has subsided, I still feel like the rpm’s jump just a little when giving it steady gas to get up a hill. It’s definitely not bad like before though.

Anyone else experienced this? What are your suggestions?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the converter and while the trans is out, install a Sonnax zip kit to address valve body wear (you'll need to pull the pump and disassemble it if you want to also install the updated pressure regulator valve)

My 6L80 thread has more info, in case you hadn't yet seen it:

Get a converter with a .050-.070 thick converter clutch (and billet cover if you do lots of towing/hauling etc).

Refresh the pressure switches with a pressure switch service kit that comes with new seals and diaphragms.

ETA: if you install the zip kit (or any valve body kit) you'll need to do a fast adapt relearn with a scan tool that has adapt functionality.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019