Selling price opinions - premium for major service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some feedback from the forum. Thinking about selling my '09 Yukon SLT, 5.3 LMG, Selectable 4WD, 6L80E, Bench with 3rd row, Bose, 139k. Wife wants the K2XX generation.

Specifically, wondering what kind of premium people will pay for the truck based on the high value services completed. From my perspective, this truck is ready for another 150k plus. The truck drives, accelerates, stops like new. Paint is not perfect - lots of scratches around door handles. No dents. Hood clear coat is in tact but roof is starting to fail. No body rust whatsoever. Corrosion underneath, but nothing unexpected. Truck presents well, I think with some paint correction it would shine up really well. As is the truck is presentable for sure.

In short, I think the truck is worth significantly more than the miles suggest but I am interested to hear if I am off base.

Major services performed since purchase at 134k:
FULL DOD delete kit from Brian Tooley racing:
-BTR Stage 2 Cam
-Remanufactured 799 heads
-Beehive springs
-LS7 Lifters
-New lifter trays
-New Melling high volume oil pump
-HD timing chain
-ARP Exhaust bolts
-Professional shop installation with receipt for work (over $3k between parts and labor)
Black Bear Trans and Engine Tune
Full transmission flush and filter @134k
Updated Valve cover
Catch can
AirRaid MIT with filter
Plugs/wires
New Fuel pump assembly/replacement lockring (dropped tank, did not cut floor)
KYB MonoMax Pre-assembled struts/MonoMax rear shocks
Belltech 2in rear lowering springs (levelled out with stock front height)
Airlift 1000 helper bags
F/R swaybar links
MOOG front diff mounts
Replacement front CV Axle
New HD Driveshaft
MOOG front replacement hubs/sensors
Powerstop Z36 F/R brake kit (rotors and hi performance pads)
Full brake flush
Updated 20in wheels from K2XX chassis
Interior cabin filter upgrade
Polished headlight lenses and installed LED upgrade bulbs
LED fog lights
Black GMC front and rear emblems

View attachment 402733

The general public shys away from modified vehicles. They are the ones who will pay retail. Car guys like us are a tiny market and we don't like to pay market prices!

Sell it based on its looks and up to date maintenance and have your list ready if asked for. Once they buy it, then you can tell them about all the goodies. For me personally, all those aftermarket parts would scare me away.

What will most women think of that lumpy idle? That it's been raced and therefore is unreliable.

My wife wants a newer generation truck too.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I purchased my replacement prior to selling my 08 cream puff 3 years ago. When you’re not under the gun to do the transactions you won’t lose your ***.

I used a nationwide selling site called TRED after paying $675 to have the black AWD YXL Denali color sanded and $800 to have the hood & 1/3 of the roof resprayed. In three months during COVID I had 5 bites.

The last call was a buyer who had been lurking on it. They drove from Las Vegas to SoCal to get it. Price negotiated from $14k to $12.5k and TRED paid me via my checking account as the broker and handled all DMV and title. 5-6 months later when the used car market took off I could of gotten another $6-$8k for it even with 140k miles.

The key factor was 3 months earlier I got an 09 Esky ESV Platinum w/140k in TX for $14k at the end of a leap year month pre COVID.

TRED charged $320 and refunded $175 as a promo because I had it professionally detailed. List it nationwide with the info you published here and your buyer will find you knowing they’re protected by using a broker like TRED and they can also buy an ext warr / serv contract from them through Ally, GM owns them.

Good Luck & happy hunting

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't hurt listing it on Bring A Trailer or Cars & Bids as well, or all the LS-based internet vehicle forums. They'd at least understand what you have.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Looks like TRED was purchased by Autotrader and dissolved.

… Nope, now TRED.com links to Autotrader private seller exchange page. Looks like it’s a Costco purchasing Price Club kinda thing. Purchase and conquer.

Last edited:

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, fix the paint issues, as that's your main thing that will tank the value in private party sales right now. Bring a trailer may be a good outlet for you with the mods done.

You threw alot of money at it for sure, I did the same on an 05 I had a few years back, tried to bulletproof it and my plans failed as the truck had different ideas on what it wanted.

Advertise it on FB maybe and you may run it on ebay with a buy it now. Bring a Trailer with reserve.

I would suggest if doing ebay or bring a trailer, have a inspection report done by a private company and provide that with a carfax on it.

Its got some good stuff done to it, but saying you did alot yourself may hurt rather than help, BUT the cam done by a shop is the saving grace. If you break even on what you paid for the truck I would say you are doing better than most who have gone down that road that you just went down. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news there but the market is soft in some ways but the sub 20k market of vehicles down here where I am is still moving some.

Best of luck man. You can find a dealer hard up to sell a k2 and they may bump your trade just to sell. They will run the yukon through the lanes just to get rid of a modded ride.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i tend to tinker with everything i own and move onto my next project toy just as quickly selling anything thats not bone stock is always a hassle. i have better luck undoing everything and making them as stock as possible again. then i will sell the toys after and usually come out without that much of a loss. modded vehicles as stated above are generally a hard sell on the typical used car buyers regardless of what was done. maintenance items based on what they were can bring a vehicle up to its premium market value with proper documentation but generally wont give it reason to be sold over market value. if your ok sitting on it for a while there's a chance you could find someone willing to buy it for what you have done to it but you will likely be waiting a while. on that note i generally stay away from vehicles modded beyond just an exhaust and or intake. doesn't matter to me where or who did the work but its likely all that work done isnt exactly what i would have wanted so it generally means extra work to undo the stuff i dont want.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still on the fence about trading up?
Yeah, probably just going to keep it for a while. The Firebird I sold on BAT didn't bring quite as much as I was hoping for, so not really enough to roll into a K2XX purchase in conjunction with selling this one. Oh well. Start saving up for the trade in a few years.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to have agree with others, you will never get your invested back out of it, the only thing you will get is the satisfaction of driving it.
keep it drive it, get the wife what she wants, be happy.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There ya go. Solid advise. My wife drives a lease, so she can get a new car every 2 years, and were always under the mileage, by a lot. But she loves my Yukon. Way more room, and seats that'll burn your ass off...lol. I plan on keeping this one for a bit. Never been hit, rides like a cloud. And sounds great, inside and out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts