Selling price opinions - premium for major service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some feedback from the forum. Thinking about selling my '09 Yukon SLT, 5.3 LMG, Selectable 4WD, 6L80E, Bench with 3rd row, Bose, 139k. Wife wants the K2XX generation.

Specifically, wondering what kind of premium people will pay for the truck based on the high value services completed. From my perspective, this truck is ready for another 150k plus. The truck drives, accelerates, stops like new. Paint is not perfect - lots of scratches around door handles. No dents. Hood clear coat is in tact but roof is starting to fail. No body rust whatsoever. Corrosion underneath, but nothing unexpected. Truck presents well, I think with some paint correction it would shine up really well. As is the truck is presentable for sure.

In short, I think the truck is worth significantly more than the miles suggest but I am interested to hear if I am off base.

Major services performed since purchase at 134k:
FULL DOD delete kit from Brian Tooley racing:
-BTR Stage 2 Cam
-Remanufactured 799 heads
-Beehive springs
-LS7 Lifters
-New lifter trays
-New Melling high volume oil pump
-HD timing chain
-ARP Exhaust bolts
-Professional shop installation with receipt for work (over $3k between parts and labor)
Black Bear Trans and Engine Tune
Full transmission flush and filter @134k
Updated Valve cover
Catch can
AirRaid MIT with filter
Plugs/wires
New Fuel pump assembly/replacement lockring (dropped tank, did not cut floor)
KYB MonoMax Pre-assembled struts/MonoMax rear shocks
Belltech 2in rear lowering springs (levelled out with stock front height)
Airlift 1000 helper bags
F/R swaybar links
MOOG front diff mounts
Replacement front CV Axle
New HD Driveshaft
MOOG front replacement hubs/sensors
Powerstop Z36 F/R brake kit (rotors and hi performance pads)
Full brake flush
Updated 20in wheels from K2XX chassis
Interior cabin filter upgrade
Polished headlight lenses and installed LED upgrade bulbs
LED fog lights
Black GMC front and rear emblems

IMG_1188.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 7

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So you bought with 134k miles on it and has 139k miles on it now and after all the work was done, she wants to get newer? C'mon man....You will never get all that money back for all the work you have done to it in the last 5k miles....right?

Am I missing something here?

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you bought with 134k miles on it and has 139k miles on it now and after all the work was done, she wants to get newer? C'mon man....You will never get all that money back for all the work you have done to it in the last 5k miles....right?

Am I missing something here?
No, you aren't. I 100% wont get the money back. This isn't really about - HOW CAN I MAKE A PROFIT. More like, how can I mitigate losses and what is a reasonable offer? Prices are all over the place and looking for others who know the NNBS market better than I.

Also important to note, I've done all the work myself EXCEPT the cam swap. I just didn't have the time. So a lot of money saved on labor.

Last edited:

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, speaking as an owner of multiple Wranglers (see my sig), having a bunch of stuff done by the owner and not a shop, makes me that much more leery of paying a premium. I specifically did NOT even look at Jeeps with lifts done by the owner. I don't trust shade tree mechanics.

Be happy if you recover 25-33% of your investment in those parts.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, speaking as an owner of multiple Wranglers (see my sig), having a bunch of stuff done by the owner and not a shop, makes me that much more leery of paying a premium. I specifically did NOT even look at Jeeps with lifts done by the owner. I don't trust shade tree mechanics.

Be happy if you recover 25-33% of your investment in those parts.
I guess that makes sense, but you should be able to tell shade tree work from actual competent mechanics from a pretty cursory inspection. I'm not ASE certified, but have been building cars for most of my life. I use the proper torque values, locking compounds, and the right tools for the job. Also part of the reason I sent the car to the shop for the cam swap, too many specialized tools that I did not have access to that I did not want to invest in. I want things done right.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense, but you should be able to tell shade tree work from actual competent mechanics from a pretty cursory inspection. I'm not ASE certified, but have been building cars for most of my life. I use the proper torque values, locking compounds, and the right tools for the job. Also part of the reason I sent the car to the shop for the cam swap, too many specialized tools that I did not have access to that I did not want to invest in. I want things done right.
I hear ya. I am a retired tech and service writer. Still have my expired ASE Master Tech and ASE Service Consultant certificates and have the knowledge but I don't have a brick and mortar shop with insurance coverage and proper letter head invoices after the work I do. I always want to see history paperwork on a vehicle I am considering buying. I would only buy without that paperwork with a thorough inspection and at a reduced price.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I am a retired tech and service writer. Still have my expired ASE Master Tech and ASE Service Consultant certificates and have the knowledge but I don't have a brick and mortar shop with insurance coverage and proper letter head invoices after the work I do. I always want to see history paperwork on a vehicle I am considering buying. I would only buy without that paperwork with a thorough inspection and at a reduced price.
So, from what I am hearing the cost of the maintenance items does not factor into this at all, rather you'd ask for a discount over a dead stock truck without any of the above maintenance completed? I'm not exactly sure what the takeaway is here.

I of course have record of all of the purchases and of the work performed at the shop...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would offer more when the maint work is proven. Same with repair work. There is a difference.

Anyone, honest or not, can show a list of work done to a vehicle but whether it was all done or not, IMO, would have to be proven to me by paperwork/records or a thorough inspection. I am not doubting you. I only see 6 items that I would consider maintenance. The rest are upgrades or repairs. I personally hope you get what you want for it but what thru me was the mileage in between and then wanting another new new newer vehicle. I do wish you good luck.

I happen to think that my 2005 Z71 is one of the best on the road, anywhere, but I know i can't get out of it all that I put in to it. See my Build Thread.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with a cam and stuff done, your best bet is selling it to someone like the people here on the board. your average person doesn't really know what any of that is and the cam is iffy as to if it helps sell it or hurts. I bought mine for a soccer mom minivan. soon as I saw cam I'm scroll on, the next guy might love that it's done.

post it for what you think it's worth on Facebook market place, sit on it for a week or 2. if it doesn't move quickly, you know you'll need a more targeted audience.

on a side note, what wheels are those. those look like what I've seen on a few random trucks around town and think look good. now that I see them on a black yokon, I like them even more haha.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance and repairs have never added resale value to a used vehicle. At least not that I’m aware of. No matter how much you dump into to make it like new. The “added value” that you might be able to sell it for, per say is what they mentioned above. selling the vehicle to someone who knows the platform and knows that the work done makes it a better vehicle to buy if the work was done right. If it were me looking at that Yukon to buy I probably wouldn’t hesitate to pay a higher price for it, if all the work in fact checks out, but that’s because i know what all the work you did to it was worth and why it was done and why it makes it a more solid vehicle over a stock truck with just general maintenance keeping it alive at that mileage. Like the guys have said the average joe looking for a used car isn’t going to know why any of the work you did matters or why that would command a higher selling price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar