Saying Good Bye to all the good folks here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 5+ years of trying to love my 2018 Suburban I have decided to trade her in. I love tooling on her but there are some issues that I can no longer ignore or fix so I have decided to cut my losses and move on. Kids are growing up and not wanting to do traveling family functions, towing the boat is gaining more time then long hauls with people/cargo.

-Suspension never pleased me and I can no longer try different things to make it more comfortable/quiet
-Transmission is not giving me the warm fuzzy feeling with needing to tow, the sluggish hesitation can only get worse from here
-Cabin noise seems to continue to get worse
-Overall ride quality is not pleasing and I cannot make it better

Maintenance tasks are coming die:
-Tires
-Front wheel bearing
-Getting a buzz/humming from either front axle or rear

Before I invest any more money I am cutting my losses and trading her in for a truck.

Just wanted to say thank you for years of help from the forums but I have lost confidence in my Suburban. I wish everyone luck and happiness with their GM's

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad, but there are always problem childs out there, sounds like you got one. I had a similar experience with a 2009 denali xl I bought from TX. Too many issues that kept creating up, I wanted to like it.......luckily it started DRINKING oil on a trip to FL and I traded it for a 2017 which has been a really good truck for us. It had some growing pains, but warranty covered them.

Since you are looking for a truck, my $0.02 would be to get a 2500. Anything in the 1500 line will have all the same motor / CAFE garbage issues that the suvs have unfortunately. Your fuel economy with a 6.0 or 6.6 gas motor won't be too far off with way less headaches in the long run.
:2cents:

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I battles the 2500 vs 1500, I figured 70% daily driver 30% towing for the year I would be safe with a 1500. I ended up with a Ram....well picking it up at the end of the day

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I battles the 2500 vs 1500, I figured 70% daily driver 30% towing for the year I would be safe with a 1500. I ended up with a Ram....well picking it up at the end of the day
I hope you have better luck with your Ram than my buddy has had with his. Here we are a couple winters ago after it broke down 50 miles from the nearest town in Colorado. Turned out to be an electronic component in the ignition but it took the dealer 3 weeks to get it sorted. Moral of the story: no brands are safe from problems.

1701717981812.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry to see you go. If going to tow 30% of the time, I would go with the 2500 but sounds like you have already chosen the 1500. That 30% towing with a 1/2 ton, depending on the size and weight of what you are towing, can do over 50% of the wear and tear on that truck.

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moral of the story: no brands are safe from problems
100% agree but I have a handful of concerns with GM and it isn't getting easier or cheaper to put the smile on my face. I have to try something different before I loose more equity from the Suburban. I towed a 1300# trailer and the vibration were ungodly.....

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If going to tow 30% of the time
Well, my numbers might not be accurate. I tow a 6000# boat about 2-3 hrs away about 4-6 times a year if I am lucky. My priority was ride quality since my ass has not been happy sitting in the bumpy Suburban

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my hemi honestly. Tows likes a 2500 if you got the factory tow package. Mine unfortunately had electrical issues and I offed it on the dealer for close to what I bought it for.

Attachments

• 20221210_100843.jpg
    20221210_100843.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 4

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% agree but I have a handful of concerns with GM and it isn't getting easier or cheaper to put the smile on my face. I have to try something different before I loose more equity from the Suburban. I towed a 1300# trailer and the vibration were ungodly.....
Ram ride quality is great and the 5.7 hemi has more than enough power. If you live in the northeast just do a fluid film application and keep on eye on the exhaust manifolds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork