Salt Deposits Under Floor Mat, BRUTAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spectralen

Reaction score
I was cleaning my interior and decided to pull the sill plates on the drivers door area and found an enormous amount of what appears to be road salt. As if it was trampled in on the feet of the driver or it's a form of corrosion or something else. I really have no idea what this is and if anyone else has seen this please chime in. I am going to pull the seats and rubber floor mat and replace the insulation because it's embedded in there.

salty floor 1.jpg salty floor 2.jpg salty floor 3.jpg salty floor 4.jpg salty floor 5.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if that was a electronic item I would say water damage, that's what a laptop or phone will look like inside after it has been drowned and then sat and dried up for a while. I would be leaning that way

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
Not nearly as bad on the passenger side.
I think your right about the electronics. It looks alot like battery corrosion.
I am chiseling, scraping with a wire brush and using a warm wet rag to dissolve this crap.
The wiring harness that runs in the sill is covered. Paints rusting.
I'll post more pics when I remove the seats and floor covering.

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
I'm wondering why this was moved out of PPV?
I believe this is more likely and possible to be police vehicle related than civilian vehicle. Police equipment that may have gone bad or something related?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no even if a battery was spilled it wouldn't be all the way up by the seat, I would guess water damage or salt water damage, was it used near the coast anywhere? have you had a carfax on it?

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
It's like rock candy. Just like the white, crusty, hard build up you get in the battery compartment of your boom box or like around the terminals on a car battery.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think it's weird but I guess if an officer was pulling people over all the time on wet salted roads and getting in and out a lot with wet boots I guess maybe it could have soaked into the carpet but sure looks weird to be all the way up almost under the seat

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
I have never seen anything like this except for a car that possibly got flooded at some point with salt water or very "mineral laden" water.....I too think the road salt theory is stretch, its just way too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700