?'s about wheel well mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am preparing to install a 4/6 drop kit on my 2008 Surburban LTZ with stock 275/55/20 tires.

I am looking for any info you can provide as to the modifying and massaging of the wheel well liners and fender lips.

I know I will figure it out after the fact but thought I would post up here and ask what you guys have done.

Pics of the mods would be great. I keep seeing posts from @NORCAL SS about "my wheel well mod" but cannot find any pics or detailed explanations anywhere.

I am hoping to use a heat gun and not have to cut the liners but I guess only time will tell.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I kinda figured this thread would get moved over here from the general section. I just thought it was a general question since it is not exclusive to street suspension... lifted guys have rubbing issues as well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about Norcal's mod too and I've asked him for pics or info but all he says is call him.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have seen a couple really thorough write ups on the Norcal mod. Not sure where.....

The other one I've seen good detail on is trimming the support frame behind the liner.

What else are you looking for?

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I have seen a couple really thorough write ups on the Norcal mod. Not sure where.....

The other one I've seen good detail on is trimming the support frame behind the liner.

What else are you looking for?

Well like I said, I am trying to prepare everything ahead of time for doing the drop and I was just kinda curious if anyone had pics of where the rear wheels make contact with the liner and how they dealt with it. The front I have a pretty good idea.

Don't get me wrong this isn't my first rodeo with lowering a vehicle and having to modify things to make it work, but being as it is my wife's truck, I am trying to make it perfect ( No rubbing ) right off the bat so I don't hear about it later... lol

I just figured rather than going out and actually pulling the rear liners, to have a look see, that someone surely had some pics floating around. I just haven't found them yet.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size tires do you have to start worrying about fender clearance with a lowered Tahoe or Burb?

I did a search a while ago after someone mentioned messaging the fenders and found this video. Pretty detailed and very involved but, the end results look great. Not sure it's for the DIYer though.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size tires do you have to start worrying about fender clearance with a lowered Tahoe or Burb?

I did a search a while ago after someone mentioned messaging the fenders and found this video. Pretty detailed and very involved but, the end results look great. Not sure it's for the DIYer though.

That's for lifted rigs with 4x4 tires. I'm lowered 2/4 and run 305/30/26 tires in the summer and all I did was trim the plastic inner fender liners and roll the inside of the fender lips up with a hammer a bit. Nothing major.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's for lifted rigs with 4x4 tires. I'm lowered 2/4 and run 305/30/26 tires in the summer and all I did was trim the plastic inner fender liners and roll the inside of the fender lips up with a hammer a bit. Nothing major.

I didn't realize it was a different procedure for a lowered vehicle. But now thinking about (while looking at your sig picture :) ) I see the difference where the center of the wheel/tire is located. There actually is a huge difference.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize it was a different procedure for a lowered vehicle. But now thinking about (while looking at your sig picture :) ) I see the difference where the center of the wheel/tire is located. There actually is a huge difference.
With the lifted crowd, their tires are a larger diameter even though they are running smaller rims. You're talking about 42" tires or bigger so although the lift will allow clearance at the top, they run into an issue at the bottom of the fenders when the tire turns due to the diameter and width. That's why they have to cut the fenders.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm lowered, 3 or 4 inches in the rear with 22's. Only issue i had was rubbing on the liners in the rear. Right where the liner goes around the upper shock bolt. All I did was hit it with a heat gun. Problem solved. Sorry, I don't have pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk