Rear wheel bearing, replace axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you had to replace the axle with the wheel bearing?

I don't want the truck to be down for longer than necessary. However, if all I need to replace is the wheel bearing, the cost will be reasonably cheap. The most expensive part will the the diff fluid. But, if I get it apart and find galling on the race, I'll have to replace the axle anyway, which will more than double the cost of the repair.

Any thoughts?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it probably depends on how many miles your truck has on it, the rear wheel bearings are actually from my view, no problem, what tends to fail are the front ones.

The differential isn't a problem as long as it's in oil. You should change the oil regularly anyway, because oil in automatic transmissions and differentials is exposed to strong mechanical stress and loses its lubricating ability at some point.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the rear axle of the truck - we're not talking about a BMW here... :cool:

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be pretty painless to replace rear wheel bearing. I saw my mechanic replace one on my 99 Silverado.

I'm pretty sure you need a slide hammer, but it's relatively easy. Removing the differential cover and the c clip probably takes the longest.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much okay with doing the rear wheel bearings. My question is more related to the chances the rear axle also needs replacing.

Last time I had the rear wheels off I could feel roughness in the rear right wheel as I rotated it, so I'm pretty sure I need to do that bearing. But, if I pull the axle to do the bearing and discover that the failed bearing wore into the axle, I have a problem.

@nonickatall, remember, we are talking about a truck that is 22 years old now.

However, if very few of you have had to actually replace an axle, it's probably worth me taking the chance on the bearing only.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much okay with doing the rear wheel bearings. My question is more related to the chances the rear axle also needs replacing.

Last time I had the rear wheels off I could feel roughness in the rear right wheel as I rotated it, so I'm pretty sure I need to do that bearing. But, if I pull the axle to do the bearing and discover that the failed bearing wore into the axle, I have a problem.

However, if very few of you have had to actually replace an axle, it's probably worth me taking the chance on the bearing only.
Chance are your only issue is the bearing/races. I don’t the issue is bad enough to have begun to spin the inner race on the axle, or you would have had bigger issues by now.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chance are your only issue is the bearing/races. I don’t the issue is bad enough to have begun to spin the inner race on the axle, or you would have had bigger issues by now.
As I understand it, there is not separate inner race on our Tahoes. (see article linked below) Note the damage in the first image of the linked article.

It is possible my diff fluid did go below a critical level when the rear cover was leaking. I don't know exactly how much I would have lost before I changed it, but I wasn't aware of any failed bearings before this.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is not separate inner race on our Tahoes. (see article linked below) Note the damage in the first image of the linked article.

It is possible my diff fluid did go below a critical level when the rear cover was leaking. I don't know exactly how much I would have lost before I changed it, but I wasn't aware of any failed bearings before this.
Ah. Then you might have an issue. I haven’t had the pleasure of this repair in several generations.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

When was the last time you had the wheels off? You said you felt roughness and then put the wheels on and drove it anyway. Likely just the bearing but you did not volunteer the mileage since then. Plus, just have an axle or two ready and take back if not needed. What would you consider being bad enough? Pits are not good. neither are gouges.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OR VietVet
I had the wheels off a couple of months ago when dealing with a frozen parking brake cable. It has something like 350-400000 km which translates to about 250000 mi.

You say I put the wheels on and drove it anyway. That is my fact of life here, unfortunately. Living in Canada, I have to order parts and have them delivered to a parcel pickup in the US. Then I have to go and pick them up. Returning parts like that is a real pain, and often I just keep the parts, even core returns.

Obviously, pitting and gouging is not good and requires replacement. My question was really related to the chances it would be at this stage after these many years. I'm beginning to think it's time to replace the axles anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019