Rear wheel bearing, replace axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good discussion here. From my perspective, it would depend on the axles. I needed to change my driver side rear bearing at around 190K (now at 305K), I decided it was in my best interest to do both sides. Removing the driver's side, I noticed wear on the axle so I elected to replace the axle. But, since I decided to do the driver's side, I also decided it was best to do the axles on both sides. Except for the cost, not really cost prohibitive, the job is pretty straight forward. Pull it apart and see what wear you have - but be prepared to replace the axle(s).

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is not separate inner race on our Tahoes. (see article linked below) Note the damage in the first image of the linked article.

It is possible my diff fluid did go below a critical level when the rear cover was leaking. I don't know exactly how much I would have lost before I changed it, but I wasn't aware of any failed bearings before this.
As mentioned - I'm about 98% sure the inner race is part of the axle. There is no separate inner race.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to examine the axle carefully. If it's damaged look into something called a "green" bearing that moves the load point on the axle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much okay with doing the rear wheel bearings. My question is more related to the chances the rear axle also needs replacing.

Last time I had the rear wheels off I could feel roughness in the rear right wheel as I rotated it, so I'm pretty sure I need to do that bearing. But, if I pull the axle to do the bearing and discover that the failed bearing wore into the axle, I have a problem.

@nonickatall, remember, we are talking about a truck that is 22 years old now.

However, if very few of you have had to actually replace an axle, it's probably worth me taking the chance on the bearing only.
There’s no way imo for the axle to be damaged. I replaced my rear wheel bearings on my 02 a couple years ago. The bearings were like new. At 150k. There wasn’t any visible wear to any of the rollers period, nor axles, and these things are beefy. I replaced them with new OE. Just don’t get carried away with the puller and make sure to not insert it too far where the reluctor is, it’s pretty easy to tell where it’s hooked the back of the bearing. You’d have to go pretty far in to hook the reluctor, just be aware there is one right behind the bearing.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to comment on brand/make/pn for getting new axles? I know my axle(s) are worn because they showed me the wear when I had the carrier bearings replaced. That was 30k miles ago. The seal on one side is starting to leak - this is also a sign of a worn bearing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is not separate inner race on our Tahoes. (see article linked below) Note the damage in the first image of the linked article.

It is possible my diff fluid did go below a critical level when the rear cover was leaking. I don't know exactly how much I would have lost before I changed it, but I wasn't aware of any failed bearings before this.
I didn’t see this info before I posted. It’s possible that you damaged the axles if the diff went low at all. That’s about the only thing that wears the axles out at the bearings.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I did it on my old zr2 blazer, same design as our trucks.

It was easy, i just used some fine grit sandpaper to clean up the axle shaft before reinstalling.

The axle shaft it self all depends on the wear since bearings ride directly on the surface.

Disassembly was easy, i used a magnet tool to remove the c clip once the 10mm retaining bolt was removed.

I had high miles and i didn't know how to launch a boat, so it had years of water intrusion in there... lol

Further in the axle, the bearing cages were worn down to thin razor blades, i did everything except the spider gears.

That old blazer is still rolling with my work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan