Ruined my electric system, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I was on vacation for four weeks and wanted to start my truck up again today.

The battery was dead, I took another battery and a jumper cable and wanted to start the truck. I connected the cable and stupidly didn't look properly, because I was in a rush and connected the battery the wrong way round. I am an Idiot...

I then got into the truck and noticed that I had no electricity. Then I got out again because I thought the cable wasn't connected properly and saw smoke on the battery.

I immediately disconnected it and then connected the battery the right way around. After that, the truck also started, the engine is running now, but I have various problems.

The central locking no longer works, the radio no longer turns off. The ABS and the airbag lamp light up. I have absolutely no gauges on the instrument panel, all gauges such as oil pressure, battery charge, radiator temperature remain at 0.

Does anyone have an idea what I may have destroyed there and where to start looking?

I could get really desperate right now and slap myself...

Thanks in foreward for your support....

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed my problem, it was only a 40 amp fuse blown, direct at the battery. Everything works, I could load the battery as well and the Battery seems to be ok.

That was a shock in the morning....
i would not operate the battery Time for a new one..

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would not operate the battery Time for a new one..
Why? The battery works, seems to have correct voltage. At the moment it don't seem that the battery was damaged.

The opposite is probably true. :cool:
There are these electronics, which should get these crusts from the plates by pulsing current.
I bombed every crust in the battery in one single shot...:favorites37:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? The battery works, seems to have correct voltage. At the moment it don't seem that the battery was damaged.

The opposite is probably true. :cool:
There are these electronics, which should get these crusts from the plates by pulsing current.
I bombed every crust in the battery in one single shot...:favorites37:
you have to kind of wonder about Brent sometimes.....
that 40a fuse was put there to prevent damages in case of doing exactly what you did
should be good to go

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to kind of wonder about Brent sometimes.....
that 40a fuse was put there to prevent damages in case of doing exactly what you did
should be good to go
Who or what is Brent?

You are absolutely right, the fuse did what is it made for..

In the end of the day, that was one more experience with this car, which make me fall deeper in love with these trucks everyday.

But in the beginning I thought: I am now entering a valley of pain because there is a story, that I had in my mind, happened to a friend.

He once bought a 7 year old Mercedes S-Class, which had the problem, that somebody did the same I did and there was an electrical damage, even an Mercedes Benz Dealer could not find. They exchanged a hole bunch of control units and after 12,000 Euro in "error digging cost", the customer gave up. And this S-Class was for years on the parking lot of this Mercedes Benz Dealer.
My friend find the car by accident and bought it for 3,000 Euro, where this cars were traded appx. 20,000 Euros.

He knew that he find the problem and fixed that, but it was not so simple. As far a i remember, it was a something with the body controller and a fuse somewhere else and a third thing i don't remember .

So this story in my mind my day was shortly ruined.. But after a while and after starting to think calm about the problem, I was looking for the fuses and my problem was fixed...

You can't believe how happy I was.... ;)

So this threat is a good example of: That stupid errors can happen, even when you think that you are smart. And it's also a story about: Sometimes you have to trust, what you have, because it's good for you.

Or to say it with GM:

Like a rock....

:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia