Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Accent lighting behind the grille you said, anything else getting RGB'd?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I live in Oregon. If I lived in a sunny climate it might be different. Even a tiny bit more tint at night would bother me. Especially on our dark, rainy winter nights. I can't see shit on those nights.

Not to clog up your thread but just FYI 70% film is clear. If you slide a tint meter over your untinted factory clear front side window it will read out at 70% so the tint on my windshield doesn't impair vision in the slightest.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to clog up your thread but just FYI 70% film is clear. If you slide a tint meter over your untinted factory clear front side window it will read out at 70% so the tint on my windshield doesn't impair vision in the slightest.
I'm actually a journeyman glazier. Glass is what I do and I understand tints, colors, light transmittance, etc although I deal with mainly commercial glazing especially towers (shyscrapers). I did do Auto Glass though for years a long time ago. Nearly all of today's Auto Glass is tinted to some extent especially windshields. Only the absolute cheapest cars have any " clear" glass and that would be the side windows. And even that doesn't have 100% light transmittance. Most windshields are tinted at 70-80% factory. If you add a 70% film on top of that, it doesn't stay 70% total, the film blocks 70% of the 70% the windshield was letting in. Here is a good explanation from the window film industry:

"Car window tinting films are measured in visible light transmission levels (also known as VLT), and these levels are represented as a percentage of the visible light transmitted through the windows. So, when you see a window film being referred to as a percentage, this is the VLT. “Let’s do 35% on the back windows,” means 35% of the visible light will pass through the window film.

In the simplest terms, the lower the percentage, the darker the window film will be. A 5% VLT film is very dark as it only lets though 5% of visible light and a 70% film is very light as it lets through 70%. There is, however, one little complication, and that is that windows as installed by the factory do not allow 100% of light to pass through. Most auto makers very slightly tint their glass, usually with a VLT of about 80%.

So how do you calculate the true VLT of your windows?

To calculate the actual VLT of the glass with film applied to it, you need to multiply the VLT of the window tint applied by the VLT of the glass. For example, applying a 5% film to glass with an 80% tint to it, you would multiply 5% x 80% = (0.05×0.80)x100 = 4%. So the glass and window tint would have a combined VLT of 4%."

BTW all glass, even clear, blocks a small amount of light depending on it's composition and thickness among other things. 1/4" clear has a higher % of vlt than 3/4" clear; tempering changes the vlt; any laminated safety glass has a lower vlt than a solid glass, etc.

Edit: so 70% film on a stock 80% windshield is .70 x .80 x100= 56%..

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a journeyman glazier. Glass is what I do and I understand tints, colors, light transmittance, etc although I deal with mainly commercial glazing especially towers (shyscrapers). I did do Auto Glass though for years a long time ago. Nearly all of today's Auto Glass is tinted to some extent especially windshields. Only the absolute cheapest cars have any " clear" glass and that would be the side windows. And even that doesn't have 100% light transmittance. Most windshields are tinted at 70-80% factory. If you add a 70% film on top of that, it doesn't stay 70% total, the film blocks 70% of the 70% the windshield was letting in. Here is a good explanation from the window film industry:

"Car window tinting films are measured in visible light transmission levels (also known as VLT), and these levels are represented as a percentage of the visible light transmitted through the windows. So, when you see a window film being referred to as a percentage, this is the VLT. “Let’s do 35% on the back windows,” means 35% of the visible light will pass through the window film.

In the simplest terms, the lower the percentage, the darker the window film will be. A 5% VLT film is very dark as it only lets though 5% of visible light and a 70% film is very light as it lets through 70%. There is, however, one little complication, and that is that windows as installed by the factory do not allow 100% of light to pass through. Most auto makers very slightly tint their glass, usually with a VLT of about 80%.

To calculate the actual VLT of the glass with film applied to it, you need to multiply the VLT of the window tint applied by the VLT of the glass. For example, applying a 5% film to glass with an 80% tint to it, you would multiply 5% x 80% = (0.05×0.80)x100 = 4%. So the glass and window tint would have a combined VLT of 4%."

BTW all glass, even clear, blocks a small amount of light depending on it's composition and thickness among other things. 1/4" clear has a higher % of vlt than 3/4" clear; tempering changes the vlt; any laminated safety glass has a lower vlt than a solid glass, etc.

Too much to read red.... say ok next time pls....;)

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Excellent, I was just going to say this till I saw your post. Most people assume 20 percent is going to mean the meter is going to say 20, when in fact it's closer to 15.

They clocked my fronts at 17-18 iirc, which is basically an exact match to the rears, so it had to have been like 22% tint. 20 is fine, you don't notice a little bit darker on the fronts because of the windshield, especially on SUV's. My fronts look lighter than my rears despite metering the same. Guess it's time for 5 all around, 35 shield, and top and bottom 5 brows.

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I quote.

I won't be tinting the windshield. I have a hard enough time seeing at night at my age as it is lol.

You guys crack me up

Did you ever find out anything about the rear wheel speed reluctor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I quote.

You guys crack me up

Did you ever find out anything about the rear wheel speed reluctor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know. Guys keep trying to convince me to tint my windshield. Don't they know I'm a grumpy old man? Lol. And nobody seems to have replaced a reluctor on the rear, this is the second forum I've asked.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. Guys keep trying to convince me to tint my windshield. Don't they know I'm a grumpy old man? Lol. And nobody seems to have replaced a reluctor on the rear, this is the second forum I've asked.
Sounds like you need a new rear axle and wider rear wheels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo