Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... that lower shock mounting tab looks like it’ll snap off the first bump you hit. No gussets?

If the steel it's made of is thick enough and the weld is solid, then it snapping off or bending shouldn't be an issue because it doesn't have much lateral load on it. It IS, however, bolted on in a simple single-shear manner that I can't help but to question. I'm sure the bolt is a Grade 8, but that'll still be a lot of instantaneous leverage hitting that setup on a hard and sharp bump.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a couple things in today. 2 sets of LED 3157's for the tail lights- I think I'm leaving the stock housings in and just upgrading to LED bulbs since I like how they look. I bought Amazon's house brand bulbs (Endpage) since they have great reviews and high output, for about $7.50 a bulb. Pretty quality stuff; aluminum housing, projector, non-polarity. I ordered some load resistors since the ones I have didn't work since the Silverado's have 2 turn signal bulbs on each side. I watched a YT on what's needed. Hopefully that will fix the hyperflash. I also scored a set of HD OEM floor mats off gmfullsize and they are like new. I was missing the passenger front. What good are floor mats if one's missing?

IMG_7697.JPG IMG_7698.JPG IMG_7699.JPG IMG_7700.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the shock tab needs reinforced.
Hey at least the shock is bolted to it now! Anyway, there's no room for anything more; there's barely enough room on the backside for the nut and that's partly because the hole is so close to the tube of the arm which makes it extremely stout. If it hasn't been a problem in the 30,000 miles since it was built I don't think it will ever be a problem. I doubt I could bend that tab with a mini sledge hammer. I'm moving on!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey at least the shock is bolted to it now! Anyway, there's no room for anything more; there's barely enough room on the backside for the nut and that's partly because the hole is so close to the tube of the arm which makes it extremely stout. If it hasn't been a problem in the 30,000 miles since it was built I don't think it will ever be a problem. I doubt I could bend that tab with a mini sledge hammer. I'm moving on!
How much of it was it actually bolted in for, lol. Seriously though, there is always a way to add some gussets or a different design. If you feel comfortable though keep it as is. After working for a suspension company for all this time I am pretty much trained to say if you question it at all you better find a way to make it better or you may regret it.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of it was it actually bolted in for, lol. Seriously though, there is always a way to add some gussets or a different design. If you feel comfortable though keep it as is. After working for a suspension company for all this time I am pretty much trained to say if you question it at all you better find a way to make it better or you may regret it.
He just had the shocks replaced a week before I bought it. And I'm not questioning it.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like every day something is showing up lol. Today it was the upper radiator/ core support shield. I didn't realize how big a difference it would make for $40. And yes I ordered the hood insulator blanket but it's taking awhile since originally I ordered from Rock Auto but they informed me a few days later they were out of stock so I ordered elsewhere.

IMG_7704.JPG IMG_7706.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also today I figured out how to add a second VIN to my autocal, then downloaded the configuration files, firmware updates, and other associated update files so it would recognize the Silverado and went for a drive to do some datalogging and collected that file. Then I copied the ECM and TCM stock tune files onto the autocal, copied all 3 onto my computer, and then e-mailed them to BBP so they can cook me up a tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK