Replacing Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mklucas53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon xl1500 Denali. 5th and 6th gear are gathering in the bottom of my transmission oil pan. I just purchased a used transmission. Yard says it came from a 2013 Tahoe. Am I going to need this programmed to operate in my 2013 Yukon XL AWD?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon xl1500 Denali. 5th and 6th gear are gathering in the bottom of my transmission oil pan. I just purchased a used transmission. Yard says it came from a 2013 Tahoe. Am I going to need this programmed to operate in my 2013 Yukon XL AWD?
at the very least you will need to do the vin relearn,
I was under the impression that the awd transmission has some kind of difference (internal) but I could be wrong.
before you install, it is recomended to use a billet converter (stock stall) that would be easy to do before it goes in
@NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure the TEHCM parts numbers are the same or swap your pre-existing TEHCM over to the replacement unit if not then run a fast adapt relearn before trying to drive it.

See my 6L80 Info thread for more info - link is in my sig line.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re on track. Same M/Y swap is a good thing for compatibility and limitations past or future trans might impose.

Interwebs state the 2WD & AWD 6L80 are the same but that’s the web for you.

** Look! Here’s a YouTube that shows 2WD & 4WD NOT the same on 6L80 **

7996B38F-BE72-4D94-ABE3-763F4AA52B58.jpeg

Of Course my favorite quote from above “Failure to Do So Will Destroy the Transmission”.

72DF7C17-DD7C-41EC-B13E-32EF7EFFECD3.gif

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re on track. Same M/Y swap is a good thing for compatibility and limitations past or future trans might impose.

Interwebs state the 2WD & AWD 6L80 are the same but that’s the web for you.

** Look! Here’s a YouTube that shows 2WD & 4WD NOT the same on 6L80 **

View attachment 426401

Of Course my favorite quote from above “Failure to Do So Will Destroy the Transmission”.
Reprogramming is necessary only if the operating system versions between two 6L80s (or any two otherwise same 6L variant units) are different. The part number on the TECHM denotes operating system version and i think there's 15-20 different versions for 6L80s. It the most critical check for the OP to confirm or deny when shopping for a used unit, unless he's capable of doing the programming work.

If the part numbers on the TEHCMs match and the replacement is within the same year as his existing trans, the replacement should be electronically compatible with his vehicle and so the only thing he needs to do before a test drive is a fast adapt relearn.

Whether the replacement trans is actually healthy inside, is another matter...

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the age of the junkyard transmission and mileage, why not get that one rebuilt?

The other one is likely going to have the same or similar issues as yours.

But in that case, just get yours rebuilt instead. Maybe it's a budget thing? Rebuilding transmissions is not cheap, which I completely get.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Having an extra trans sitting in the garage, working or not is a good thing. It separates the install from the trans repair process. When it’s 5-$6k and down time is involved, that’s key.

Nothing better than being able to decide on dropping your extra trans off with the repair Dude because he’s got time. Even better to set it up for the install a month or two later while still driving the offending vehicle around.

OP
OP
M

mklucas53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Given the age of the junkyard transmission and mileage, why not get that one rebuilt?

The other one is likely going to have the same or similar issues as yours.

But in that case, just get yours rebuilt instead. Maybe it's a budget thing? Rebuilding transmissions is not cheap, which I completely get.
It’s a money and time thing. Need the rig on Monday. Everybody is booked book booked. The core charge was 250. So I kept it and will rebuild it anyway. It will be my warranty lol

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a money and time thing. Need the rig on Monday. Everybody is booked book booked. The core charge was 250. So I kept it and will rebuild it anyway. It will be my warranty lol
Check my 6L80 Info thread (link is in my signature line) for parts lists, procedures and resources including links to ATSG and ATRA manuals, my videos as well as TSBs and other relevant content.

These transmissions are not that difficult to build provided you acquire the tooling you need. I have a 6L80/90 special tools vid on the channel that shows you exactly what you'll need to overhaul those units. Going to be releasing more 6L vids on the channel in May.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts