Transmission Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyukonxl16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here and couldn’t find anything close to an answer on this.

2016 Yukon XL Denali 2WD, 186k and has the dreaded 8l90 M5U tranny. Needs replacing.

Transmission TUN code on side of existing unit is 5UFL.

Obviously $5k for a fully rebuilt makes not much sense given the age/mileage.

Could I swap a 5U1L into it? If so, assuming it just needs programming? If not, why not?

Thanks$!

Shawn

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New here and couldn’t find anything close to an answer on this.

2016 Yukon XL Denali 2WD, 186k and has the dreaded 8l90 M5U tranny. Needs replacing.

Transmission TUN code on side of existing unit is 5UFL.

Obviously $5k for a fully rebuilt makes not much sense given the age/mileage.

Could I swap a 5U1L into it? If so, assuming it just needs programming? If not, why not?

Thanks$!

Shawn
Yes it does. Lot of life left in that truck if taken care of. Can you get the same thing for $5K, course not.

Don't know about which codes are compatible, I'm always of mind to rebuild and not replace whenever possible.

The transmission in those trucks is pretty stout, it's their torque converters and the fluid used early on that caused all the problems.

What exactly is wrong with yours?

OP
OP
S

Skyukonxl16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s shutt
Yes it does. Lot of life left in that truck if taken care of. Can you get the same thing for $5K, course not.

Don't know about which codes are compatible, I'm always of mind to rebuild and not replace whenever possible.

The transmission in those trucks is pretty stout, it's their torque converters and the fluid used early on that caused all the problems.

What exactly is wrong with yours?

I agree

It’s slipping/stuttering but only going up hills. Does it at all speeds, around town and on the highway as well as on strong acceleration.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum. As @swathdiver stated, if the truck has been taken care of, you still have 10's of thousands of miles left on the truck. We have lots of folks here on the Forum who have trucks running in the upper 200,000+ miles range.

@NickTransmissions is our resident transmission expert, and he will give you his perspective and recommendation.

OP
OP
S

Skyukonxl16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum. As @swathdiver stated, if the truck has been taken care of, you still have 10's of thousands of miles left on the truck. We have lots of folks here on the Forum who have trucks running in the upper 200,000+ miles range.

@NickTransmissions is our resident transmission expert, and he will give you his perspective and recommendation.
1712252081084.jpeg

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Yukon OP, partial to the Frost White myself.
Find a reputable transmission shop that can rebuild using quality hard parts and an upgraded torque converter, they should be able to tune the TCM as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev