Replacing factory radio with factory NAVI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KBones

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great guys. Thanks a lot for all the input. Here's the deck i have.. Its got the cd player and aux input and a second slot for a dvd with the factory overhead monitor. I'll probably just end up getting a Kenwood Excelon with built in Garmin. View media item 25072

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Nice dash, did you vinyl or paint?

Thats what my 07 came with - the CD/ DVD non nav. Swapped it out to a 2010 CD/DVD with usb, then to a 07 nav, then to a 2012 nav. It will be cheaper and better performance to go aftermarket, unless you just want the factory.

OP
OP
KBones

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I installed a JL Clean Sweep to keep the factory look and don't really want to rewire anything but it sounds like it'd be more of a hassle to install a factory nav unit.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Its not that much more hassle. If you buy it from the right people, its 100% plug and play.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen one of those HUs. I always thought that if it had the DVD/RSE system, it had the touchscreen.

I would've gone aftermarket with mine, but I found an OEM touchscreen for $150. After Greg's cost for programming, etc., I came out cheaper than if I had bought an aftermarket HU plus all of the necessary interfaces and harness adapters to make it work. And then the rear seat radio controls in the back of the center console still wouldn't have worked. That's not such a big deal, but I didn't want things in my new-to-me car not working.

I think keeping it OEM is simpler and less of a hassle as far as installation. Buy the unit, get it programmed, plug it in and go.

OP
OP
KBones

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm kinda still on the fence. I can get a factory nav for $180 and thats the main reason I might do that, cuz of the price. I called the dealer earlier to see if they could program it for me but the dumbass I got to talk to thought that the 2007 map disc probly won't work because it's so "old" and it's made by Onstar.. any thoughts on the map disc not working?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Even if the disc is 2007, the unit itself will work. The maps are just 11 years old.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are other suppliers for the discs. Gonna have to Google around. Just know that there are a lot of cheaply-priced copies going around with reports of the copied discs not working. But, there are a lot of copied discs that work just fine, though. Greg had a spare he tossed in with mine.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my navi unit out of my 07 hoe and sold it to someone with an 08. Both had bose and all that. It eas locked though and the guy went to 2 dealerships and they couldnt get it to work for him. I had to refund him. It works for some and some it doesnt

adcmobile

Reaction score
If you want more sources, inputs, outputs, Bluetooth, USB, higher screen res and the ability to use everything while you're driving down the road, check out the Rosen Car Show GM1210: http://www.adcmobile.com/cs-gm1210-ca/

It does a whole lot more than the factory HU, looks almost identical and it plugs and plays - everything comes in the box. It keeps the steering wheel controls, OnStar and XM and lets you send DVD, AV1 and AV2 sources to the rear drop-down screen so you can mirror your phone or tablet to the rear if you want.

By the time you program, bypass and upgrade to BT using the factory nav radio or add an aftermarket with all the adaptors and additional wiring & satellite tuner, you're spending at least as much or more than this radio...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71