Replacement DVD Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iggy913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've got a 2013 Suburban LTZ with the factory DVD system. It has been an absolute life saver for road trips, however lately it's started making quite an annoying buzzing/vibrating sound, which makes me think it's on its way out! What options has anyone found to replace the factory head unit with something that offers similar features?

The biggest roadblock I've run into is nothing out there seems to be able to "multitask" like the factory head unit. By that I mean I can play a DVD for the kids, which they can listen to with their wireless headphones. Once they're situated with their movie, I can switch the input to the FM radio and listen to music through the speakers while their movie still plays. Everything I've seen in the aftermarket can only play one input at a time, meaning if the kids are watching a movie, I'm stuck listening to the audio.

Short of finding a factory DVD player am I stuck?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've got a 2013 Suburban LTZ with the factory DVD system. It has been an absolute life saver for road trips, however lately it's started making quite an annoying buzzing/vibrating sound, which makes me think it's on its way out! What options has anyone found to replace the factory head unit with something that offers similar features?

The biggest roadblock I've run into is nothing out there seems to be able to "multitask" like the factory head unit. By that I mean I can play a DVD for the kids, which they can listen to with their wireless headphones. Once they're situated with their movie, I can switch the input to the FM radio and listen to music through the speakers while their movie still plays. Everything I've seen in the aftermarket can only play one input at a time, meaning if the kids are watching a movie, I'm stuck listening to the audio.

Short of finding a factory DVD player am I stuck?
you just need a updated headunit that supports RSE (dual zone)
with the proper adapters you can do just like the factory headunit plus have extra features like android auto or carplay and/or built in navigation and other options.
manufactures such as pioneer & kenwood offer these kinds of headunits
idatlink maestro rr would be one module option that works with the above mentioned head units and provides the interface needed.
if you go the idatalink maestro rr website there is a web interface to input all your vehicle information, the headunit you wish to use and then it gives you a work up of all the features suppored.

OP
OP
I

iggy913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I picked a few different DVD players off the Crutchfield website, JVC, Kenwood, etc. and ran them through the Maestro page for compatibility. All seem like they would work fine, however none mention anything about the rear screens, did I miss something?

OP
OP
I

iggy913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Disregard, it looks like I would just need to purchase an additional harness: AVGM2

So in total I'd need the head unit itself, the Maestro RR, the RGM2 Harness, and the AVGM2 harness for the rear entertainment system. Anything else? I feel like I'd need a dash kit of some kind?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disregard, it looks like I would just need to purchase an additional harness: AVGM2

So in total I'd need the head unit itself, the Maestro RR, the RGM2 Harness, and the AVGM2 harness for the rear entertainment system. Anything else? I feel like I'd need a dash kit of some kind?
yes you would need a dash kit, there are a couple brands out there
and one thing to note if you have the 3rd row screen then you would need to "patch" the 2nd row screen to the 3rd row screen, since the avgm2 only provides video to the 2nd row

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Option 2 is purchase a pre loved replacement. If that doesn’t work, return it and continue to diagnose.

The good: Your correct in that the 12-14 HD / hard drive Navi GM ran in the last years are fast, reliable and built around the trucks features. They’re still plentiful because upgrading to one is labor and part intensive.

The part to unlock a preloved unit, the autosync, will unlock any factory Navi, unlimited times. A/S will also add about $2k worth of other options the factory left off our trucks.

The Bad: The A/S is $295. But, if the replacement Navi is a dud, you will NOT have to pay to activate a replacement. There is no other downside, replacement is plug n play and you’ll get all the upgrades of the a/s.

The 12-14 HD units also allow a $69 A2DP BT music / audio streaming module to be added that fully integrates into the steering wheel controls and dash. It runs simultaneously with the factory BT phone and auto switches between calls, music, Navi & radio. I use it with Waze running in the background of Pandora to alert of speed traps.

Lastly when it looks OEM thieves want nothing to do with it. Last year when our 09 Esky was pilfered of about $1.2k of stuff inside, they left the 12-14 SD card OEM SuperNav alone. The A2DP module is hidden behind the glovebox so out of sight, out of thieves hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz