Replacing factory radio with factory NAVI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been talked about, but has anyone replaced their factory radio/cd/dvd with a factory NAV/dvd unit? If so, do you know if the dealer has to program it to a new vin?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Yes. And Yes. Make sure its from the same years - ish. 2007-2009 dont have USB, 2010-2013 have USB. 2012 switched to a hard drive based nav and has a completely different harness. All will need a GPS antenna and the VSS wire hooked up.

Not all dealers can unlock a USB radio for 2007-2009 trucks. Contact Greg at CPS Audio and he will hook you up.

OP
OP
KBones

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is an 08 and has the factory dvd and overhead monitor

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Having USB is nice. Also having the 2012 unit, which has the backup camera guidelines which move with the steering wheel is nice. And the newer interface is VERY nice compared to 07-11. Call Greg: 707-588-9300. Ive done 3 radios thru him, and its been perfect everytime.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having USB is nice. Also having the 2012 unit, which has the backup camera guidelines which move with the steering wheel is nice. And the newer interface is VERY nice compared to 07-11. Call Greg: 707-588-9300. Ive done 3 radios thru him, and its been perfect everytime.

#changed 707-665-9300

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the regular non-screen CD/radio/XM head unit in my '08 and switched to a 2010 nav unit for the touchscreen, USB and backup camera functions.

I didn't know they had units with DVD and no nav- is that what you have but are looking to have the same features plus nav? I don't know about the 2012+ units, but at least on my 2010, the nav kinda sucks as far as using it. I'd much rather use a Garmin on the windshield.

I second Dale's info and recommendations. It's difficult to find a dealer that's experienced and knowledgeable enough to successfully program a head unit. I've read of too many horror stories of it not being done properly and even head units that were "bricked". The safe and surefire bet would be to have Greg do it.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the regular non-screen CD/radio/XM head unit in my '08 and switched to a 2010 nav unit for the touchscreen, USB and backup camera functions.

I didn't know they had units with DVD and no nav- is that what you have but are looking to have the same features plus nav? I don't know about the 2012+ units, but at least on my 2010, the nav kinda sucks as far as using it. I'd much rather use a Garmin on the windshield.

I second Dale's info and recommendations. It's difficult to find a dealer that's experienced and knowledgeable enough to successfully program a head unit. I've read of too many horror stories of it not being done properly and even head units that were "bricked". The safe and surefire bet would be to have Greg do it.
I just called and left a massage......:D

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
The 2012 nav is better... but by no means is it good, especially when compared to your phone or a garmin with constant updates. And it costs too damn much to do the updates, and by the time you get it, its already outdated. Really the main advantage is to have a touch screen with a larger rear camera view and better display. I really dont know anyone who upgrades to a Nav in these trucks that actually bought it for the NAV itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14