Repair or Replace Center Console Lid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe has about 136K miles on it. The interior is pretty darn clean except for the front left area of the center console lid cover, since it's the point where driver's elbow rests & rubs on it during driving.

I've priced out replacing the entire lid assembly, which is anywhere from about $150 used to around $250 new, and I've priced replacing only the synthetic 'leather' cover itself, which runs as little as around $25 new. The process to recover/re-skin the existing console lid seems fairly simple. Wondering if anyone has actually done it and if it is something that takes 15 minutes or more like 2 hours. lol

images.jpg

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it did take 2 hours, it's still 1/10th the cost of a whole new lid, which is unnecessary unless it's broken or cracked elsewhere. I've never replaced one, but I've done cloth to leather conversions so I'm familiar with the disassembling and reassembling of interiors. The console lid looks pretty straightforward. I checked mine out a while back just cuz (the leather is perfect), and it looks like once you removed the inside panel, you'd see how it attached. Of course, this is after you remove the lid from the console for ease of working. It's most likely stapled to the plastic frame. You can buy or borrow a pneumatic stapler for this project or use a good upholstery contact adhesive. Be sure to read the reviews on the leather kits to see how they fit and if you should expect extra labor with stretching, etc. to get it on. It may be worth your time and money to leave the lid at an auto trim/upholstery shop and let them recover it. They'll either sew up a new cover or they may know of a reputable supplier of quality pre-sewn kits and they'll already have the tools and knowledge to install it properly.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it did take 2 hours, it's still 1/10th the cost of a whole new lid, which is unnecessary unless it's broken or cracked elsewhere. I've never replaced one, but I've done cloth to leather conversions so I'm familiar with the disassembling and reassembling of interiors. The console lid looks pretty straightforward. I checked mine out a while back just cuz (the leather is perfect), and it looks like once you removed the inside panel, you'd see how it attached. Of course, this is after you remove the lid from the console for ease of working. It's most likely stapled to the plastic frame. You can buy or borrow a pneumatic stapler for this project or use a good upholstery contact adhesive. Be sure to read the reviews on the leather kits to see how they fit and if you should expect extra labor with stretching, etc. to get it on. It may be worth your time and money to leave the lid at an auto trim/upholstery shop and let them recover it. They'll either sew up a new cover or they may know of a reputable supplier of quality pre-sewn kits and they'll already have the tools and knowledge to install it properly.

Thanks for this great information.

I've watched a video on YouTube from a company that sells the replacement 'skin.' The process itself is straightforward, but I do not own a pneumatic stapler or compressor and do not know anyone who does. If I invest in that equipment, the total project cost is close to buying an entire pre-owned lid (about $150), so I'm wondering how well I can complete the task with only a manual staple gun---probably worth the try, provided I add proper upholstery adhesive for good measure.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Ill be replacing the skin as well. 2 hours is well worth my time when you get those kinds of results. Cant put a price on self satisfaction after you have completed something like that. But then once a couple days have passed you will forget about and look for something else to mod or repair lol

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S
Ill be replacing the skin as well. 2 hours is well worth my time when you get those kinds of results. Cant put a price on self satisfaction after you have completed something like that. But then once a couple days have passed you will forget about and look for something else to mod or repair lol

YUP.

Regarding the satisfaction factor, it's great to dig into something, figure it out and complete the repair or modification with good results. I made up my mind when I got into this rig that I'd make dealing with these issues my newest hobby, and it's become a fun activity even though there are occasional headaches.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I replaced one in an Acura once. Same issue you're having, with a new leather skin. I don't recall if it was held with staples, but I used a hot glue gun, kind that uses the long sticks, hot glued the hell out of it underneath, and it held great. Put it all together and it held firm. Just another option. Glue guns are cheap, just make sure you don't get one from a craft store, go manly, HF or Home Depot.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Couldn't have said the last bit better....it never ends..lol

18c0sb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia