Recommendations on brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Time to replace my brakes and have some questions.

First off, I've been recommended R1Concepts brakes. I've never heard of them but my buddy is a car guy, runs them on both of his CTS, and swears by them. Didn't know if anyone had any thoughts on them.

Second thing is when looking up brakes on the R1Concepts site, it asks for the caliper casting number. Looking for 285/286 or 325/326 or something like that. When having the tires changed I asked if they could tell me and they told me they didn't see anything. Are you guys aware of different bracket numbers and do you know of any way to tell what bracket you have apart from tearing things apart to find out? Any help would be appreciated.

Lastly, any recommendations on brakes. I've done some searching but the price range is all over the place. I don't do any real towing so just look for good reliable brakes without braking the bank!

Thanks in advance!

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wagner Thermoquiet are great pads. USA made too They are available at most parts stores and are not that much more than the Chinese pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
What powerstop rotors did you use? I've been looking at this kit:

http://m.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

Front Slotted: 126.66057CSR and CSL

Rear Slotted: 126.66065SR and SL

I didn’t do the Cryo for the rear just to save some cash.

Pads: Hawk Performance HB561Y.710 LTS Brake Pads

And rear: Hawk Performance HB568Y.666 LTS Brake Pads

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Slotted: 126.66057CSR and CSL

Rear Slotted: 126.66065SR and SL

I didn’t do the Cryo for the rear just to save some cash.

Pads: Hawk Performance HB561Y.710 LTS Brake Pads

And rear: Hawk Performance HB568Y.666 LTS Brake Pads

I always thought this truck uses rears the most since its RWD and also I believe the rears go out faster so I thought it would be best to have best brakes/rotors in rear. I picked up a high carbon rotor from pep boys and added some Asbestos pads. They dont create much dust and work pretty well, plus fast pick up locally. I have had good experience with high carbon rotors from pretty much all the local stores.

OP
OP
B

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought this truck uses rears the most since its RWD and also I believe the rears go out faster so I thought it would be best to have best brakes/rotors in rear. I picked up a high carbon rotor from pep boys and added some Asbestos pads. They dont create much dust and work pretty well, plus fast pick up locally. I have had good experience with high carbon rotors from pretty much all the local stores.
I believe you are right about the rears. When I had the brakes checked the rears were worse than the fronts. I'll have to look locally.

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
It's true with my factory pads, my rear's were gone in 50k miles where the fronts were still good. I haven't had that since. The truck naturally stops hard, dipping down in the front unless you pump the brakes to come to a stop. I have had to change my front pads a couple more times than the rears. And I'm at 230k miles currently.

OP
OP
B

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the advice. When ordering your R1's, dis they ask for any info from your caliper bracket? Supposedly they used two different brackets on the 07's. Not sure if this is true for any other model year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts