Rear wiper not working anymore. NEW motor worked for a couple days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I missed it if you did this, but can you load test the motor circuit with, say, a headlight or other relatively high amperage bulb? See if the circuit will carry the current load?

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed it if you did this, but can you load test the motor circuit with, say, a headlight or other relatively high amperage bulb? See if the circuit will carry the current load?
I didn't do that and not sure how. But the electrical shop I'm going to visit tomorrow should have some answers I'd think. May not test tomorrow but I hope they can get to it soon.

I'm so curious for the final root cause its like solving a game of clue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Whatever they do and tell you is needed, make sure the paperwork is detailed about testing procedures, findings and what it takes to repair it and detailed pricing with a diagnostic charge, parts charge and labor charge. In other words: An invoice that says: Tested, found bad, replaced and now works=$400., will not work.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify...the electric shop is a starter alternator rebuilder type of place. They'll bench test it IIRC. Not a shop for full auto Elec repairs. I'm trying to prove the part itself is good or not....then I'm armed with more knowledge if I take the truck in for help.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric shop couldn't test motor because unsure which leads needed power and I couldn't fully remember or know the answer either.

Found info online similar situation as mine. Apparently the orange wire needs power(as I understand it) all the time when key is on. I get zero orange power at the motor. Grey wire powers at motor when selector is rotated. If this is true, then I believe my switch is bad because orange wire is powered at the switch but doesn't make it to the motor. Only grey seems to get power.

Ordered switch off eBay. Small gamble but...I guess what's $20-25 more? Hate gambling.

Will update when I get the part.
Thanks all.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric shop couldn't test motor because unsure which leads needed power and I couldn't fully remember or know the answer either.

Found info online similar situation as mine. Apparently the orange wire needs power(as I understand it) all the time when key is on. I get zero orange power at the motor. Grey wire powers at motor when selector is rotated. If this is true, then I believe my switch is bad because orange wire is powered at the switch but doesn't make it to the motor. Only grey seems to get power.

Ordered switch off eBay. Small gamble but...I guess what's $20-25 more? Hate gambling.

Will update when I get the part.
Thanks all.
orange wire is powered at the switch but doesn't make it to the motor?
Which Switch? the glass popper switch?

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
orange wire is powered at the switch but doesn't make it to the motor?
Which Switch? the glass popper switch?
The wiper switch at the IP has power on orange wire and if its supposed to make its way to the harness when the key is merely in thr on position as a tech stated then he says the switch / fuse is the problem. My fuse is good.

The glass/hatch switches kill power at the motor harness grey wire so I believe those are not the issue.

So if orange at the motor needs constant power then apparently the switch *is* the issue. Hope this is correct.

As I understand it we have 2 power lines into the motor. Orange constant and grey when wiper is commanded.

Last edited:

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm unable to solve this issue. However simple or challenging the solution is, my skills are spent.

The replacement switch didn't fix it.

It's going in to shop. I need a frosty a/c line fixed so will see what the wiper is all about. I need my skills to swap cooling hoses on my pickup....haha.

Will repost when it's done. In a couple weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts