Rear wiper not working anymore. NEW motor worked for a couple days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K-Hill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now it doesn't. Trying to figure out what to replace next - Relay or switch, or...? I tested with a light before installing the new motor, I had lights on the tester, but they were pretty dim. Is that normal or indicative of another issue?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to your first post.

You should check the voltage to the connector. Your motor may be just fine and the old one may be fine too. IMO, I would check the relay where it plugs in. Is there a relay? I would ask @Fless about that. He knows if it does or doesn't. He freakin' knew there was a separate 3rd brake light fuse........That's another story. Check where the relay presses in at, if there is a relay. It could be the switch though. There is a speed control there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now it doesn't. Trying to figure out what to replace next - Relay or switch, or...? I tested with a light before installing the new motor, I had lights on the tester, but they were pretty dim. Is that normal or indicative of another issue?
is the wiper arm parked correctly? does the rear glass open? those 2 things are interlocked, if it thinks the glass is open the wiper will not work and if it thinks the wiper is going it wont open the glass. it's a safety thing. so double check that wiper arm is correctly parked, if not you may need to adjust it

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

What year, and model? Fuseboxes are different between early and later NBSes.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to check for voltage, voltage drop, current, etc, at the plug for the rear wiper. Just because it shows voltage, doesnt mean it can carry the current.

You make no mention of what vehicle this is, so I would start by checking the wiring going from the main body of the truck, to the tail gate. Its a rubber flexiboot thing. Thru opening and closing of the trunk, the wires flex, until the break. Have had this happen on a couple vehicles I have owned thru the years.

OP
OP
K

K-Hill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need to check for voltage, voltage drop, current, etc, at the plug for the rear wiper. Just because it shows voltage, doesnt mean it can carry the current.

You make no mention of what vehicle this is, so I would start by checking the wiring going from the main body of the truck, to the tail gate. Its a rubber flexiboot thing. Thru opening and closing of the trunk, the wires flex, until the break. Have had this happen on a couple vehicles I have owned thru the years.
My bad - This is a 2004 Tahoe 5.3L

OP
OP
K

K-Hill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
NEW DEVELOPEMENT! When I turn on the rear wiper at the switch, nothing happens... until I push the button for the glass to ope, THEN the wiper moves to the 'up' position and stays. When I close the glass, nothiong. Tunr the switch OFF and the blade rests in the holder. WTF?!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

This new development should assist in pinpointing the source of your issue.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the suggestion I made above, thats all I can suggest. With it stopping, makes me think its a power/ground issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEW DEVELOPEMENT! When I turn on the rear wiper at the switch, nothing happens... until I push the button for the glass to ope, THEN the wiper moves to the 'up' position and stays. When I close the glass, nothiong. Tunr the switch OFF and the blade rests in the holder. WTF?!
it's out of sync you need to park the wiper arm properly then it will start working again, you should be able to just pull the arm and re-position it.
this is a somewhat common issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019