ABS pump/module, braking, rear diff/axle/hub issue(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylerdavies106

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 02 Tahoe 2wd with a g80 rear. I have a series of issues, some I've fixed, some I can't figure out.
1) My brakes would stick or intermittently apply while driving making sluggish acceleration and rapid deceleration. My ABS and Brake! lights come on (sometimes with no traction light) on almost every drive for like a year. I got the abs pump and module replaced and the lights are still there, but the intermittent brake applying and brake drag is gone from what I feel. However, the new pump has begun to leak when driving. I got 2 new ABS wheel speed sensors for the front wheels since that can often trigger the lights.
2) I had a rhythmic rubbing sound in my driver's side rear wheel and I finally took the brake components apart and saw the parking brake shoes were rubbing on both sides (more severe on the driver's side). It was fine for a day and then I noticed a metal on metal rhythmic rubbing/scraping sound back there and idk if it's from the bearing, something with the parking brake or differential gears. Side note: there's a fluid leak in the diff at where the driveshaft meets the diff.
3) Ever since I bought the truck it's never had the smoothest braking. But when I changed the rotors and pads it smoothed out a little because the old ones were slightly warped. However now I have smooth until there's like a jolt just below 10 mph and another right before I stop. 2 jolts, same spots, every time. Idk if that's a rear end or transmission/torque converter issue or if it's tied to the ABS issue, bad calipers or a problem with the booster or master cyl.

I need y'all's help with this because me, several mechinic friends and mechanics in the area cannot figure out this issue. My truck is still drive able but these issues are becoming intolerable. Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For troubles such as these we usually recommend putting the truck up on jack stands (4) and putting it into gear to replicate the symptoms, someone is outside near the wheels and driveline watching closely.

The lights on ought to be attributed to stored trouble codes and if you have access to a Tech-2 or similar bi-directional scan tool, the failure records ought to be their for your viewing to see what happened to cause the lights or codes to set.

With the truck in the air and in neutral, engine off, move the driveshaft up and down and rotate it to see how much slop is in it. This may reveal a bad pinion bearing, universal joint or worse. Sounds like your pinion seal needs replacing, does the differential still have enough fluid inside to function properly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel