Rear main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I separated the transfer case from my tranny that gasket was relatively undamaged. See page 2 of the link I provided. I may have dabbed a little RectorSeal Tplus2 on it when I put it back together. Also there should NOT be any fluid in the gavity between the 2 units. If there is? then either the tranny output shaft seal or transfer case input shaft seal is leaking.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I separated the transfer case from my tranny that gasket was relatively undamaged. See page 2 of the link I provided. I may have dabbed a little RectorSeal Tplus2 on it when I put it back together. Also there should NOT be any fluid in the gavity between the 2 units. If there is? then either the tranny output shaft seal or transfer case input shaft seal is leaking.
That gasket isn’t supposed to have gasket sealer applied but it looks like that’s what happened in this case. Mine was in good shape too but I put a new one back on just because.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Tonight I got the transfer case back in. Actually had to lift the rear of the transfer case over the welded crossmember then had to use my knee and both hands to get it in place accompanied by the trans jack. This reminds me to never get another 4wd.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I got the transfer case back in. Actually had to lift the rear of the transfer case over the welded crossmember then had to use my knee and both hands to get it in place accompanied by the trans jack. This reminds me to never get another 4wd.
Yeah they’re hard to R&R. There’s nothing I could do except bench press mine after dragging it up onto my chest. Not fun and I’ve done it 3 times.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah they’re hard to R&R. There’s nothing I could do except bench press mine after dragging it up onto my chest. Not fun and I’ve done it 3 times.

If anybody had to do that with the old time late 70's Dodge/Chevy full time cast iron full time T-cases raise your hand. I had to do those several times by myself and I think that a lot of that is why I feel like dawg shit now getting ready to turning 50. All that asz busting for what? Sucks...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in Virginia now, I sometimes think about going back to 2WD, but I love skiing too much and at least three times while maneuvering our camper in the rain I've needed 4WD to either get into or out of a campsite. So I'll keep dealing with the implications of it.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Started plugging the electrical connectors and vacuum lines back in. Headed to the store to get some wire loom to finish this up.

I'm having trouble finding where one of the vacuum lines went. The short vacuum I connected to the port on the driver's side of the transfer case. Where does the long vacuum/breather line go?

Hard to tell since I have the trans lifted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660