Oil leak rear main seal maybe????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the rear main, but could be the rear cover which is common. In this case it won't likely sling off the flywheel, but can still drain down the back of the engine. This is very difficult to see.

In any case, fixing the rear cover gasket is the same process as the rear main and should be done together anyway.

Yup I forgot about that, good point. Seal could be ok but the cover seal shot.

I have this point I would like to make as well. On these newer trucks with the metal gaskets with the rubber embedded compared to the older style all gasket type, seems to me like on the hybrid gaskets, once they go, the whole thing is shot. Older school gaskets seemed to be more localized with seal failing/leaking. IMHO.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the rear main, but could be the rear cover which is common. In this case it won't likely sling off the flywheel, but can still drain down the back of the engine. This is very difficult to see.

In any case, fixing the rear cover gasket is the same process as the rear main and should be done together anyway.
I just did this today, and that was the exact prognosis. The rear cover gasket gers flattened, and hard. Leaks even with bolts tight. Mine had a dry RMS, but the entire area around and above were wet with oil. Runs down the back, then out the bottom.

I did the pan gasket 2 years ago thinking the same thing and wasted my time. With that kind of oil loss, I'd just plan on doing the rear cover and oil pan at the same time.

StevenG916

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a pretty good oil leak I have taken off the view cover and it looks dry any suggestions 07 yukon denali 6.2l AWDView attachment 426285View attachment 426286View attachment 426287View attachment 426288View attachment 426284estions?
Mine looked the same way, it was only after sticking my finger inside that I felt the oil. Also, the rear main seal was good, it was the gasket on the plate that went bad on mine and was leaking. We replaced the whole plate and it hasn't lost a drop of oil since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts