Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon_driver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I came looking for answers regarding rear main seal replacement on a 2002 GMC Yukon. I have had several quotes to have this repair done, ranging from $1,700 to $2,200. But for the first time today, a mechanic told me that it would not be worth it to do this repair because it would require an engine breakdown. For context, my engine has 217,000 miles on it, and the mechanic informed me that by pulling an engine with so many miles and disassembling it, we were almost guaranteed to run into more costly issues and it could potentially result in the need for a complete rebuild. He further explained that it would be better worth my time to purchase a new crate engine and have it installed in place of my current engine.

I am bringing this issue here for discussion because I was not aware that the engine needed to be pulled for this repair, and I would like input from more sources with advice/confirmations/counterarguments. Ideally, I would like to keep my current engine, but I am also prepared to face the sad truth that my engine may not be worth repairing. Currently, it leaks about 2 quarts of oil in between oil changes. For further context on the condition of my vehicle in general, it also has transmission, diff, and transfer case leaks.

Any advice is welcome, thank you in advance!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
break down the engine? thats nuts. they just need to pull the t case and tranny and flex plate off the engine and theres the rear main seal. while its out the t case leaks could be addressed. my local shop charges 500 plus fluids to rnr and engine or a tranny, a 4x4 might cost more, then the time to reseal the t case and replace the rear main seal. might come to 1200 with parts and labor and fluids.

you need to find a shop thats got a engine hoist parked out side with a few dead engines and trannys on the side of the garage. ( what my guy place looks like) those are the shops that want this type of job. the high quote places dont want your business.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon_driver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
break down the engine? thats nuts. they just need to pull the t case and tranny and flex plate off the engine and theres the rear main seal. while its out the t case leaks could be addressed. my local shop charges 500 plus fluids to rnr and engine or a tranny, a 4x4 might cost more, then the time to reseal the t case and replace the rear main seal. might come to 1200 with parts and labor and fluids.

you need to find a shop thats got a engine hoist parked out side with a few dead engines and trannys on the side of the garage. ( what my guy place looks like) those are the shops that want this type of job. the high quote places dont want your business.
I'm glad to hear that breaking down the engine is not necessary, I was very surprised when this mechanic told me that. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but I was under the impression from what I read online that just the transmission should need to be dropped. I will keep looking for another shop that can do this for me. Thank you for replying!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transmission has to come out, or the engine. It can be done either way. Sounds to me like this mechanic is hoping you’ll buy a crate engine, and leave your “old, worthless “ one with him for a cheap rebuild..

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon_driver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
I'm glad that I asked, lots of good advice here!

Attachments

• 000502250004.jpg
    000502250004.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

That mechanic said that the rear main seal replacement "REQUIRED" the engine to be torn down OR he said the "ONLY WAY HE DOES IT" is to tear the engine down?

It requires room access and that means either pulling the engine out or the transfer case and transmission, like @Sam Harris and @Scottydoggs said.

He should have said the only way he would do it, because of the miles on the engine, is to swap in a crate motor and that unless you did it that way, there is no warranty if he does it like we have suggested. When you get access to the rear main seal, there are many components to go ahead and address while you are tore down that far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts