Rear main seal leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Had my muffler welded in the other day and my buddy had pointed out an oil drip. It’s was on the bottom of the oil pan and the transmission inspection cover I’m guessing? He said it looked to him to be the rear main that was leaking it’s way down. So I called up another good friend of mine and got a quote to replace it.

He quoted me around $575 with a timken rear main seal.

Sound like a deal? Or what would the normal cost be. I’m not going to try and do it myself, not because I’m not confident enough to do it but because I really don’t feel like pulling the trans in the driveway.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Had my muffler welded in the other day and my buddy had pointed out an oil drip. It’s was on the bottom of the oil pan and the transmission inspection cover I’m guessing? He said it looked to him to be the rear main that was leaking it’s way down. So I called up another good friend of mine and got a quote to replace it.

He quoted me around $575 with a timken rear main seal.

Sound like a deal? Or what would the normal cost be. I’m not going to try and do it myself, not because I’m not confident enough to do it but because I really don’t feel like pulling the trans in the driveway.

I would pull the inspection plug on the bell housing and make 100% sure it's the rear main leaking.

These trucks have either oil cooler lines or a block off plate installed directly above the oil filter on the side of the block. They are known to leak and can easily blow back and drip from the oil filter or the bottom of the pan and bell housing. Could also be the oil filter itself leaking a bit.

Last edited:

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second kbuskill. Pop out the inspection cover and shine a flash light up there. When I first got my Denali I thought I was dealing with a similar situation. Turns out I had slow leaks from everywhere but the rear main. ;)

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was quoted somewhere around that to do the rear main on my 97. totally different engine and such but same concept. the place i had align the truck was a bigger garage and shot me a price that i could have just bought an engine from rock auto. had mine done for alot less but im just lucky to have connections. second note regarding the suggestion to double check is a definite. my rear main was leaking so it was replaced but the bigger issue was my oil pan gasket was leaking badly right next to the rear main.

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Got under the truck and pulled both inspection covers and luckily I didnt find any oil inside the bellhousing. But that block off plate was a little wet with oil, but also on the starter side it was a bit oily

04CA2169-93A2-4461-BD0F-7BEFA49BDF11.jpeg 4AA78AE3-4FCF-495D-AA59-2939B2B4031E.jpeg F238B37B-7428-4FBB-B43A-67305A6CA389.jpeg 127FADF3-CD14-4E70-9AC6-B5BA8FE80E4E.jpeg

Ordered the gasket for the block off plate and also ordered a new oil pan drain bolt just to rule it out.

Last edited:

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comes with a nice o-ring gasket,
https://www.amazon.com/ADAPTER-Cool...pID=419BKeED4IL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'd also look at doing the oil pan gasket, its a 2 hour max job if you are 2WD. 4WD I have no clue but I'd expect double that. I would also check the Cam position sensor at the top of the intake. Most common for that drip from the top, most folks will say its the oil pressure sensor but that is the #1 replaced sensor up top and most times doesn't fix the issue.

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Comes with a nice o-ring gasket,
https://www.amazon.com/ADAPTER-Cool...pID=419BKeED4IL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'd also look at doing the oil pan gasket, its a 2 hour max job if you are 2WD. 4WD I have no clue but I'd expect double that. I would also check the Cam position sensor at the top of the intake. Most common for that drip from the top, most folks will say its the oil pressure sensor but that is the #1 replaced sensor up top and most times doesn't fix the issue.
Damn wish I saw this before I ordered the gasket. I’ll probably order this anyway just in case. I looked at the pan gasket and that seems to be pretty dry, I’m leaning more towards something else. I’ve wiped it all clean so hopefully if/when it starts leaking again I can spot where it’s coming from

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Damn wish I saw this before I ordered the gasket. I’ll probably order this anyway just in case. I looked at the pan gasket and that seems to be pretty dry, I’m leaning more towards something else. I’ve wiped it all clean so hopefully if/when it starts leaking again I can spot where it’s coming from

How are your valve covers???

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
order this one anyways, best bet. I actually threw mine in there with both gaskets and some black RTV. better to be safe than sorry.

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019