Rear diff help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please help I don’t want to break anything

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please help I don’t want to break anything

lets hope this aint a bent wheel after all this.

and why you taking the pinion out for a axle shaft?

this is how they come out unless you got a 14 bolt full floater, and i doubt that.

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its because im trying to get to the c clips
And I’ve tried a different wheel on that side still the same I know for a fact it’s not the rim

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you spun the diff around and the pinion shaft is still stuck? Well, if the broken parts are out, have someone pull or pry on that bad axle shaft relieving some pressure on that pinion and you can help it along with some light taps with a mallet. But remember to not move it too much once the pinion shaft is out as things will get misaligned and be even more of a pain later in getting the c-clips in and out. The axle shafts press right up against the pinion shaft. Have a helper pull them out some by muscle and or a tool while you pull the pin. May need them to repeat to get at the c-clip.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its because im trying to get to the c clips
And I’ve tried a different wheel on that side still the same I know for a fact it’s not the rim

did you break the yolk nut free? the way your going at it you'll need to rebuild the rear. takes some special tools to put it all back together right. and the axles are still not coming out right. in fact they are holding the carrier in place after you unbolt the end caps. so thats not gonna help.

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pinion shaft is not coming out I’ve tried everything

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could i put an Escalade diff in my tahoe would it be faster or slower would i get any lights on the dash please anyone

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the wheels are chocked and the transmission is in neutral and parking brake off so you can spin the carrier inside the pumpkin, right? You removed the complete, albeit, broken bolt that secured the pinion shaft and it is still not moving? I am assuming then that you have also removed the brakes (calipers/bracket/rotor) on both sides at this point to enable a helper to pull/pry/push on the axle shafts? Are you able to move the pinion shaft? Can you see in the bolt hole to ensure that the all the broken parts are out?

You may try pulling the other axle out to relieve tension/pressure on the pinion caused by the damaged axle. We're talking in hairs, way less than a millimeter needed to free it.

As for the Escalade, should be the same physically, only the gear ratio may be different. Can you get the RPO code from the donor vehicle? There are also codes stamped on the axle tube which tell which gear is in it; if they haven't been changed already. What's your RPO code ("G" codes) or gear ratio?

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done all of the above and its not coming out, where could I find the rpo codes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879