Rear Differential: 9.5" 14 bolt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have acquired a new to me 9.5" 14 bolt for my 14 denali awd
It is a used rear end with approx 85K on it (probably I hope)
Any ways, I am paranoid about my G80 8.6" stock rear end that is in excellent shape
as I'm going to be towing heavy..
My question is what actual differential is in this rear end ???
Is it similar (weak) like the G80 in the 10 bolt ????
Would it be advised to install a Yukon Duragrip diff in it before I go thru
all the work to install in my Yuk ???
( I have found a good deal on a new Duragrip is the reason)

Thanks for the Input !!

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested too! I want to do the AXN upgrade as well as upgrade the dang 3.08 gears!

Yukon duragrip looks like a clutch type. Maybe more agressive..
Truetrac maybe a torsen? (says helical gear)

I don't understand the details, but have heard torsens can act like an open diff if one wheel loses all traction.
Truetrac literature mentions this also. Have also seen a few videos of truetracs making noise while coasting.

Someone here mentioned that heavy trucks are harder on clutch types. Makes sense to me.
More weight on bigger tires, more force the clutches have to try and hold and/or they will be slipping/wearing more.

I was happy with a torsen style in an old BMW hatchback of mine, made no funny noises.
So I have been leaning towards truetrac for the Tahoe, but would love to hear from people who know!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Eaton G80.

The 14 bolt (of different variations) G80s are much stronger than the G80s of the 10 bolts. Usually when you hear of someone blowing up their differential, it's the 10 bolt G80. I wouldn't worry about it in the 14 bolt.

Your 14 Denali didn't already come with the 14 bolt? The 2KXX truck axles (except the V6) have something that folks are calling the "12 bolt". As far as know, it's an AXN or very similar but the differential cover has 12 bolts. I bought one of them to swap into my 99 Silverado NBS. I regeared it to 4.10 from the stock 3.42s. But it's still sitting in my garage floor. Those axles came in 9.5" and 9.76" ring gear. This is obviously the rear leaf sprung axle. I'm not certain how this relates to the coil sprung rear axles of the SUVs.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested too! I want to do the AXN upgrade as well as upgrade the dang 3.08 gears!

I don't understand the details, but have heard torsens can act like an open diff if one wheel loses all traction.
Truetrac literature mentions this also. Have also seen a few videos of truetracs making noise while coasting.

Someone here mentioned that heavy trucks are harder on clutch types. Makes sense to me.
More weight on bigger tires, more force the clutches have to try and hold and/or they will be slipping/wearing more.

I was happy with a torsen style in an old BMW hatchback of mine, made no funny noises.
So I have been leaning towards truetrac for the Tahoe, but would love to hear from people who know!

I had a torsion in a 4th Gen z28 and could 100% make it spin one tire around corners. you'd have to shock it a bit to make sure it was Posi. roll in smoothly and it would spin the inside tire. I wouldn't put one in a truck that you want locked at slow speeds.

if you put the correct friction modifer in a clutch type, they last forever in my experience. don't put it in or let the fluid go bad, and they are toast ******. i just buy gear lube from the dealer these days. like the c6. it's a clutch type and gm revised the fluid like 6 times over the model run. but over 100k on it of hard driving and it's never spun one wheel, never makes any noise. it's just correct. yeah the tires are smaller and lighter than truck tires, but they are 200tw 305s at the moment. Lotta traction to deal with. and the truck 14 bolt would be much larger friction surface.

the clutches are stacks of disks like a tranny has and a spring to hold them together. as long as the fluid is correct, I don't think wear will be to big of an issue. unless you're running some very large off road tires, and then you should probably get a full locker for off road use.

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Eaton G80.

The 14 bolt (of different variations) G80s are much stronger than the G80s of the 10 bolts. Usually when you hear of someone blowing up their differential, it's the 10 bolt G80. I wouldn't worry about it in the 14 bolt.

Your 14 Denali didn't already come with the 14 bolt? The 2KXX truck axles (except the V6) have something that folks are calling the "12 bolt". As far as know, it's an AXN or very similar but the differential cover has 12 bolts. I bought one of them to swap into my 99 Silverado NBS. I regeared it to 4.10 from the stock 3.42s. But it's still sitting in my garage floor. Those axles came in 9.5" and 9.76" ring gear. This is obviously the rear leaf sprung axle. I'm not certain how this relates to the coil sprung rear axles of the SUVs.
The AWD Yukons/Tahoes come with the 8.6" rear end - 10 bolt
The 2WD yukons/ escalades came with the 9.5" rear - 14 bolt

I guess gm figured since the AWD splits the torque 60/40 they could put in
the smaller rear end.
The 2wd are the only ones with the bigger rear end

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the detroit truetac helical units in my Monte Carlo SS and my stepside
chevy 1500 9" rear ends.. They are awesome. Strong, dependable and quiet ...
I just happened to come across a new Yukon Brand Clutch type for my new to me
9.5" 14 bolt at a great price....
If it weren't for $$ I'd do the helical gear rear diff 100% of the time on a street vehicle.
BTW I've never had my helical diffs go 1 legger at any time even on the track

But you have to run standard gear lube and NO posi additives or it screws them up.

I guess my main concern is "how strong is the diff on a 9.5" 14 bolt" as the
the factory diffs on the 8.6" are fairly weak (when upgrading power or weight carrying)

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Eaton G80.

The 4WD trucks came with the 9.5" as they can put all the power to the rear...
The AWD SUV's are AWD all the time - no choice
So gm put in the weaker rears on them. And the better 9.5" 14 bolt on the 2WD versions.
I've seen the 9.5" 12 bolts ... I think that's whats called the full floater, but not sure of the differences

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they put the 14 bolt in 2WD.. and 6.0/6.2 motors only?

Glad to hear the 14 bolt G80 is not weak.. I maybe sticking with the G80!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork