Rear diff help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t pulled it out yet i jacked the it and put it in drive the right rear rim n tire is wobbly

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure as to how I could attach a video but it wobbles like crazy

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel is not bent? Did you hit a curb or slide in the cold into one? I've done it before in an Oldsmobile and had to get the axle shaft replaced when I was a kid.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, take the r/rr wheel off and see if the axle wobbles (where the lug nut studs are) ? as for the salvage yard, you will not be able to get the bearing out without damage, it's pressed in with a driver. A really good salvage yard will have a software system for interchangeability. A pick/pay only wants your $$. Check with www.rockauto.com, they have OEM plus replacement parts.

David g...........:2cents:

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea unfortunately I did hit the curb and that’s when all my problems started, I checked at partsource for a new axle but the guy couldn’t find anything that’s what I feel my only option is the pic n save

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so do you want to replace the whole thing or just an axle shaft/bearing/seal? Double check the PN# for the pickup but pretty sure they use the same axle shafts/bearings and seals.

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the axle and the bearing.. id like to say thank you you’ve been amazing swathediver

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news took the diff cover off unbolted the little bolt to get the shaft out all threads came out but the shaft of the bolt it broke in there any ideas on how to get this darn thing out !!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand; are you saying that you loosened and then removed the pinion shaft locking bolt (holds the pinion shaft in place) and it unthreaded all the way and then broke? Having a hard time visualizing this as I would think if the threads were all clear the pinion shaft would be free to move.

OP
OP
mr tahoe

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update I got the full locking bolt out (was in 2 ) and the pinion shaft just will not come out

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n