Rear Control Arm Attachment Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Town is not listed because it's not relevant and frankly not anyone's concern. It's rust.
You suggested shaking GM's cage and pretend to have contacted the NHTSA and lie about it.
Maybe that's how some people conduct themselves but not me.
The question to your post was "why"? It's not GM's responsibility at the age of the truck.
I didn't ask for a diagnosis. It was a question about who might repair a rusted bracket on the frame.
No point now as I have previously mentioned, I have access to a qualified welder.

Would like to see before and after pics, if you get them and are willing to share.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Dude, k'mawn. If I didn't bust your balls for getting mouthy on this forum you wouldn't like me. I know you live in the country, and I figured it's this one. Anything else I don't care either.

DBacon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the repair is on the left side, be careful to protect the gas tank from sparks. The metal lines on the top of the fuel pump rust also. You might find a pool of gas in the little well where the pump mounts.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the repair is on the left side, be careful to protect the gas tank from sparks. The metal lines on the top of the fuel pump rust also. You might find a pool of gas in the little well where the pump mounts.

At this point, that might be an ideal way to "fix the situation", assuming he has full coverage insurance.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that area atop the tank visible from somewhere?
I'd assume there would be/have been gasoline smell if there is a leak, right?

DBacon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I didn't notice any smell, with it in my garage with the door shut. When I pulled my tank, there was a lot of gas in that depression. I jumpered the pump relay to remove the gas, so I could handle the tank, as it had 10–12 gallons in it. I did cut a hole above the pump while I had the tank out for later use. My last GM required 8 fuel pumps to make it to 180k miles, so I am anticipating the same dum deal. If you do this, be sure to seal up around your access hatch as gas fumes in the people compartment could be very dangerous!

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't notice any smell, with it in my garage with the door shut. When I pulled my tank, there was a lot of gas in that depression. I jumpered the pump relay to remove the gas, so I could handle the tank, as it had 10–12 gallons in it. I did cut a hole above the pump while I had the tank out for later use. My last GM required 8 fuel pumps to make it to 180k miles, so I am anticipating the same dum deal. If you do this, be sure to seal up around your access hatch as gas fumes in the people compartment could be very dangerous!
If you had a leak you didn't notice drips or a stain on the floor?
It would seem that the well over the pump would eventually overflow.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All set and an artistic job of fabrication and workmanship.

Now, brush on or rattle can on bare steel? Any opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo