Rear Control Arm Attachment Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my rear upper control arm attachments to the frame of our '08 Tahoe rusted and broke. Viewing from the wheel outside the truck well it appears that the bracket to the frame is broken.
I haven't had the chance to find a lift to get a better assessment yet.

Who would be best to repair that? Body shop? Welding shop?
Are there any adjustments or alignments related to that repair needed during the repair needing a specialized frame shop?

Is that a critical part?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my rear upper control arm attachments to the frame of our '08 Tahoe rusted and broke. Viewing from the wheel outside the truck well it appears that the bracket to the frame is broken.
I haven't had the chance to find a lift to get a better assessment yet.

Who would be best to repair that? Body shop? Welding shop?
Are there any adjustments or alignments related to that repair needed during the repair needing a specialized frame shop?

Is that a critical part?
i hate to say it but its going to be very, very hard to find a shop to fix it and take liability for it .
if the bracket rusted off the frame, itself cant be far behind. and probably wont know the extent till you start cutting away the rust until you find some good metal
critical part, it hold the rear end straight

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would assume a frame shop that has dealt with the rust problems in your area, would be able to deal with it but could get expensive. It all depends on what they have to do to have "good metal", as @randeez said. may need to get your insurance involved.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate to say it but its going to be very, very hard to find a shop to fix it and take liability for it .
if the bracket rusted off the frame, itself cant be far behind. and probably wont know the extent till you start cutting away the rust until you find some good metal
critical part, it hold the rear end straight

Looking closer the bracket didn't rust off the frame but rather rusted and cracked through down at the bolt level.
I called it a bracket but I think it's more like a bent plat attached to the frame tube.
It is understandable that is rusted because it's exposed to all that is thrown up by the tire and our state thinks nothing of throwing corrosive chemicals on the snowy roads.

From what I can see peering into the wheel well it seems that a steel plate fabrication might do it provided that there is sound metal to weld to.

I have a long time relationship with a meticulous retired welder that said he'd take look but I didn't know if anything special in setup is needed that would require a special setup (jig?).

There are a couple frame shops around but I know him and not anything about the shops.

The truck looks and runs good so it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Contact GM customer service and approach it as if you were just told by your shop that it occurred or you looked under your vehicle and found it.

Tell them you just got off the phone and the NHTSA and they told you to call GM because there’s also a TSB for the front sway bar link rusting off.

Ask them … this is still safe for my wife to drive the kids to her Mom’s house up in the mountains this weekend right? I’m sorry, what was your name? You’re so nice Sherry, can I have a reference number for this call?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled off the inner fender liner to get it fully exposed and cleaned it up with a chipping hammer.
Frame is ok as is the lower part of the bracket and a replacement bracket is being mocked up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact GM customer service and approach it as if you were just told by your shop that it occurred or you looked under your vehicle and found it.

Tell them you just got off the phone and the NHTSA and they told you to call GM because there’s also a TSB for the front sway bar link rusting off.

Ask them … this is still safe for my wife to drive the kids to her Mom’s house up in the mountains this weekend right? I’m sorry, what was your name? You’re so nice Sherry, can I have a reference number for this call?
Why?
I would consider the blame on the town and state using corrosive melting chemicals and not GM after 16 years.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one knows what town the vehicle is in or that corrosive elements were in play. Maybe I missed that when an internet diagnosis was requested.
Town is not listed because it's not relevant and frankly not anyone's concern. It's rust.
You suggested shaking GM's cage and pretend to have contacted the NHTSA and lie about it.
Maybe that's how some people conduct themselves but not me.
The question to your post was "why"? It's not GM's responsibility at the age of the truck.
I didn't ask for a diagnosis. It was a question about who might repair a rusted bracket on the frame.
No point now as I have previously mentioned, I have access to a qualified welder.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz