Ran out of gas! 2008 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI I used to play the how far can I go on a tank of gas game. The tech who replaced my failed fuel pump said "I don't suggest running the tank low, pumps overheat. They count on the fuel to keep them cool".

This is why pumps have been in their own bucket for the past 25 years or so.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the f/p & level sender are replaced it’s an accurate set up. I went from 1/4 tank = on empty, reserves only, to bells & whistles going off on empty means if I back into my driveway that’s on a slight incline, the truck may not start unless I roll it to street level after a new unit was installed.

A little off topic here but thought it interesting how many contractors that have e85 capable full size SUV & trucks, any manufacturer, are filling up on corn gas here in SoCal. The 1 Ton pick up with a 5th wheel towing a car carrier with 4 cars pulling into the e85 bay was a head scratcher at first. The guy said he fills up with e85 because the 6.0 loves it over the mountain pass with a load. He said the $1h fill up ain’t bad either.

The kicker yesterday was the gardener pulling all his equipment with a gorgeous black 2010’sh Esky topping off with e85. I gave him the nod of mutual respect for being so frick’n clever.

Word.
I've been running E85 exclusively for a few months now. Pretty much ever since I switched to the physical alcohol sensor. It stays so cheap here. Was $1.95 at one station a few weeks ago but it's been hovering around the $2.05-$2.45ish range lately. Here, as long as it's at least 27% cheaper than premium (cuz it's actually ~E65ish), it's a win.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the bright side, at least you were driving a V8 Tahoe pulling a trailer. Imagine how embarrassing running out of gas would be if you were driving a Prius.
if you run out of gas with the volts bigger bro the Tahoe hybird you would never even be able to get it started again..

seriously the vehicle self bricks when it runs out of gas...

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word.
I've been running E85 exclusively for a few months now. Pretty much ever since I switched to the physical alcohol sensor. It stays so cheap here. Was $1.95 at one station a few weeks ago but it's been hovering around the $2.05-$2.45ish range lately. Here, as long as it's at least 27% cheaper than premium (cuz it's actually ~E65ish), it's a win.
me too! My inner nerd shines hard when I start explaining to people that if you multiply the cost of premium by 0.30, then subtract the product from the initial premium cost, and ensuring the difference is greater than the cost of E85. It's not just cost-effective; there's a potential 20% boost in engine performance!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me too! My inner nerd shines hard when I start explaining to people that if you multiply the cost of premium by 0.30, then subtract the product from the initial premium cost, and ensuring the difference is greater than the cost of E85. It's not just cost-effective; there's a potential 20% boost in engine performance!

I wouldn't say 20% boost in performance, not in this platform. With a boosted and tuned car, quite possibly. Still, in our rigs, it's something. I can never remember the specs that GM outlines, but I think it's something like +6HP and +13TQ. E85 compared to regular/87 is a loss due to the decreased fuel mileage, unless you have really expensive regular gas. I have to have high octane whether it be 91/93 or E85, so it's pretty much always a win with the cost. The extra performance is just icing on the cake. Hell, when my 5.3 was all original it ran better on 91+.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to have high octane whether it be 91/93 or E85, so it's pretty much always a win with the cost. The extra performance is just icing on the cake. Hell, when my 5.3 was all original it ran better on 91+.
I was over exaggerating a bit in my nerdy rant, your numbers sound much more accurate. Having a 6.2 with a mild cam I’m also in the 92+ or E85 predicament, and more often then not E85 is usually the best bang for the buck (pun intended.) I last filled up for 2.20ish/gal at one of the few stations in my city that always has the best prices, some stations around here are asking nearly the same amount as 87…

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was over exaggerating a bit in my nerdy rant, your numbers sound much more accurate. Having a 6.2 with a mild cam I’m also in the 92+ or E85 predicament, and more often then not E85 is usually the best bang for the buck (pun intended.) I last filled up for 2.20ish/gal at one of the few stations in my city that always has the best prices, some stations around here are asking nearly the same amount as 87…

It's not exaggerating if referring to a modded boosted car. The Ecoboost 4-banger Muffstain, in factory form and on 93 octane, gains something like 35 HP over what it does on 87. Modded and tuned on E85 could easily scale these figures up for 20%+ gains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo