Radio Lights out? Check this out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay those prices for stock stuff. Maybe if it was top notch new technology inside the factory face, maybe. My Yukon had the stock tape deck with remote CD player, and I swapped the tape deck for a CD deck and ditched the remote CD player for a cubby for less than $50 from ebay. For the price, I'd just get a fancy aftermarket one.

But if you're into restoration and have an aftermarket radio, it would be worth it. Actually, the GM NAV system isn't too bad a price, if you could get it to work with an obs.

dachrist

Reaction score
[Or, you can just do it yourself!

Radio out with new bulbs:
Truck 023.jpg

Faceplate off:
Truck 024.jpg

Back of plate, removing screws:
Truck 025.jpg

We have separation!
Truck 026.jpg

New bulbs soldered in, ready to re-assemble:
Truck 027.jpg

Tom danger Collins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay those prices for stock stuff. Maybe if it was top notch new technology inside the factory face, maybe. My Yukon had the stock tape deck with remote CD player, and I swapped the tape deck for a CD deck and ditched the remote CD player for a cubby for less than $50 from ebay. For the price, I'd just get a fancy aftermarket one.

But if you're into restoration and have an aftermarket radio, it would be worth it. Actually, the GM NAV system isn't too bad a price, if you could get it to work with an obs.

Did the harness from the old tape deck work with the new CD deck or did you have to modify something?

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

dachrist

Reaction score
where are the bulbs soldered? you think i could do this and swap em for leds to match my blue leds elsewhere in the interior?

They are soldered through the panel, you just have to heat up the old solder to pull them out. Stick the new ones through and re-solder. I think you could totally replace them with blue led's, not sure where you could find the solder-in type though.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont realy think it would be worth the effort though so im not lol. goign to have alpine head eventually so no point to go througha dn do it on my tape player :p

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the harness from the old tape deck work with the new CD deck or did you have to modify something?

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, the harness in the dash is the same for both setups, so swapping radios was easy. And I kinda didn't ditch the remote CD player... I also swapped that for the remote tape deck, but I took it apart as far as possible so that it would still work and hid it up under the dash and spliced in a aux input so that I have an mp3 connection through the factory radio. Given the total cost of the parts (head unit, tape, mp3 adapter...) a cheap aftermarket setup would be about the same price, but to have mp3 ability and sound quality in a factory setup (ie, not desireable for thieves) it was worth it to me.

babyarm85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced the tape deck w/ an after market regular cd deck that has aux in (i use the media player on my phone) and installed a power inverter w/ usb port where the remote cd player went. works great when you want to take the lappy on road trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy