Questions About First Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSDunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to do the first oil change in my 2003 Yukon SLT (currently 130000 miles) and I'm wondering what kind of oil you longtime Yukon owners recommend.

I'm assuming some kind synthetic oil right?

Also, I'll be taking it to a lube shop and was wondering what you guys regularly do every 3000 miles.... Full lube or something else.

Can I bring the recommended oil to a lube shop?

I'd also appreciate any quick advice on the most important factors keeping these trucks on the road and running like new.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not go to a lube shop..But that is just me.I would try to find a real good independent shop.

What I do is buy my own oil [which is Mobil 1 and a AC Delco Filter] and just let him change it..He charges me 10 bucks to change it.

Lube shops in my neck of the woods charge you for their oil and filter even if you bring your own oil and filter..Makes no sense but they get away with it..That way they can charge you 30-40 bucks to change your oil.

Plus lube shops use recycled oil..I would rather buy my Mobil 1 off the shelf of the store and give it to my independent mechanic to change.

A lot of lube shops do not put in the proper grade oil the vehicle calls for..Even if you tell them what grade to put in they put in whatever they want for the most part.

Just in IMHO..To each their own.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do the first oil change in my 2003 Yukon SLT (currently 130000 miles) and I'm wondering what kind of oil you longtime Yukon owners recommend.

I'm assuming some kind synthetic oil right?

Also, I'll be taking it to a lube shop and was wondering what you guys regularly do every 3000 miles.... Full lube or something else.

Can I bring the recommended oil to a lube shop?

I'd also appreciate any quick advice on the most important factors keeping these trucks on the road and running like new.
If I were you I'd change the oil myself, it's very easy and takes me less than 30 minutes. I don't think it matters what oil you have as long as it's name brand and you change it at least every 5k miles

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I don't have time to change my oil myself, which happens a lot as I'm self employed and changing oil in the winter sucks up here in the mountains because it's cold and we get snow, lol, I take it to a custom jeep shop that I'm good friends with the owners of, as I do a lot of work with. I bring my own oil and filter and they just swap it for me. I use 5W-30 synthetic, Napa auto parts brand. And their filter brand. No issues caused with it yet.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Wix filter and 5w30 Castrol GTX HM I've got 160k doesn't use a drop I have a local shop change the oil and lube the lube points for $15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ali saleh

Reaction score
I use 10w40 year round in my tahoe 5 quart castrol gtx ( or any 10w40 on sale at Autozone ) and 1 quart lucas oil stabilizer helps get rid of the piston slap cold start knock and change every 3000 miles with Ac Delco oil filter

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use 2 quart's full synthetic and rest of conventional Castrol 5w-30 in Winter and 10w40 in summer with 250k miles with the same synthetic and conventional mixed. I don't use the premixed anything. I don't recommend going to lube shops, to many horror stories. Find a local gm shop that has a clean shop floor, this usually means they take pride in their work, like my guy.
Good luck bud.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart Supertech filter is made Wix and I use Supertech Dino and Syn oil depending on sales

Kendall69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At 130K I would use some sort of engine flush, get rid of any old build up or sludge, then change it TWICE in a row, once with cheap oil, then again 100 miles later with Royal Purple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz