New Tahoe RST, First Oil Change Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mplslumper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All, I am about to pick up my new 2023 Tahoe RST and was wondering if I should do my first oil changer earlier than the normal?

Any thoughts would be helpful for the first oil change.

Thank You,

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow the manufacturer's instruction. Conversely, most of us here in the Forum change our motor oil at 5000 miles or less.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always done my first change around 1K miles with the belief that you remove any particles from production still hanging around. I do all my changes around 5k after that, and never had any engine issues with mine...

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am of the same idea as @K2 Kaiju

I know machining practices have gotten way better than years back, but it's still a good idea in my book. I'd probably go more to the 2 to 3k mark for a more thorough break-in, but that's just me. I think as long as you DON'T follow the oil life monitor and change it at 5k or less as a habit you'll probably have a trouble free motor for years.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told today to FOLLOW the Oil Life Monitor.
That is what Paramus Chevrolet tells all customers. In fact they do not even put oil change stickers in the corner of the windshield anymore. I just put my own sticker on it. I change out every 5K miles.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what Paramus Chevrolet tells all customers. In fact they do not even put oil change stickers in the corner of the windshield anymore. I just put my own sticker on it. I change out every 5K miles.
Lately (retired) I don't drive much. So I follow the car oil life % except.... I change once a year even if it says 60% oil life left.

Billy Bass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I change my oil when it hits 1000 miles, and then at 5k, then 10k, 15k etc. I use AC Delco filter with Mobil1 full synthetic and have never had any problems.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am about to pick up my new 2023 Tahoe RST and was wondering if I should do my first oil changer earlier than the normal?

Any thoughts would be helpful for the first oil change.

Thank You,
The first thing I did with my new Tahoe was to permanently disable engine Stop-Start technology in order to extend engine life, and improve safety. Then I permanently disable Daytime Running Lights. Then remove all things Google to the maximum extent possible. Regarding Oil, I've been doing the following for decades with great success. I change the oil at 500 miles, then at 3,000 miles, I change the oil every 3,000 miles in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar