New Tahoe RST, First Oil Change Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why buy new if you disable all of the features? I get the enging auto stop. But disabling drls? How does that increase safety that you seem to be interested in from the previous sentence.

Gearz

Reaction score
I change my New vehicles oil & filter @ 1,500 miles then every 5K or 6-8 months what ever comes first and more often if you drive in cold weather and short trips. Todays engines are built loose so there's more blow by and cause the oil to break down quicker. Always use what the manufacture says as far as the viscosity and full synthetic dexos 1 or 2 etc.....

TXbarney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It certainly will not hurt anything to change the oil early, just an added expense.
An alternative that might make you feel better.... just change the filter and top off the oil.
If there is any debris in the oil, the filter should catch it.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don’t see the point in changing the oil after 1-3 thousand km, or in a reduced interval thereafter to 5-7 thousand miles; I change the oil strictly according to the regulations, for me it’s about once every 14 thousand km. Modern engines are run-in and run-in cold at the factory.

Gearz

Reaction score
Well I guess my 30 + years of being a mechanic were all wasted. Unless you lived in the trenches a worked on thousands of vehicle's? All this thread is saying is how to prolong your engines life for as long as possible not leasing it or selling it in a few years and dumping it. Have you ever seen the “Car Nut” on YouTube? He explains it very well.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess my 30 + years of being a mechanic were all wasted. Unless you lived in the trenches a worked on thousands of vehicle's? All this thread is saying is how to prolong your engines life for as long as possible not leasing it or selling it in a few years and dumping it. Have you ever seen the “Car Nut” on YouTube? He explains it very well.
I appreciate your experience and recognize that high quality, clean oil is the lifeblood of any engine. That said there is no one size fits all approach...I think it is an "it depends."

For example, in the case of Honda, they specifically do not want you changing oil early, because they like to have the assembly lube (whatever their secret sauce is) left in the engine for a full change interval. They call it out in the owners manual, and if you buy a new Honda and try to take it in to any Honda dealer and attempt to get your oil changed early, the dealer will strongly recommend (almost refuse) to do it. Have had this experience at 2-3 Honda dealers. Have owned 5 Honda's in my lifetime, 3 of which I still own, and the first 3 of them reliably went over 175k miles with nothing but the maintenance schedule...save one A/C compressor.

Certainly on these GM rigs, with some of their known complexities of the AFM/DFM and it's reliance on oil pressure in the galley for operating these features, any sludge, impurities, particles that block up the passeges would be a risk...I personally changed mine on my 6.2 at about 4500 miles (was just over 100 hours) on the first change, oil life was about 55% at the time. Did it because the dealer offered 2 free oil changes in addition to the first one included by GMC. But, the dealer ones had to be in the first 12 months of ownership...so, looked like I was going to hit 12k miles in a year, divided by 3, and got 3 of them free, each at about 4-4.5k miles.

Feels to me like if one really wanted to be proactive (some may say paranoid but hey, to each their own, right?), get about 20 hours on the engine (would think rings were seated by then), and then a change of oil and filter, and you would be seriously good to go to some longer interval.

My experience on my 2013 Suubrban w/ the 5.3 and AFM was that I did it by the oll life monitor, ran it to 15% life...until I got to about 85k miles, then my service manager advised going to a 4k mile interval...which I did. Traded that rig after 8.5 years and 120k miles, and it ran as well on the day I traded as the day I drove it off the lot.

2 (and a bonus) biggest things you can do for your ride to keep it going:
1) Check the oil at every fill up, and make sure it never gets low (even more important than changing oil)
2) Change the oil at the manufacturer recommended interval or before...
2a) Change the other fluids and filters (transmission, transfer case, rear diff, front diff, brake fluid) too...

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why buy new if you disable all of the features? I get the enging auto stop. But disabling drls? How does that increase safety that you seem to be interested in from the previous sentence.
Maybe he's a ninja and doesn't want to give himself away.

I totally agree with the auto start/stop BS. DRL disable I can get behind depending on what type they are. But, it's nice to see inattentive drivers before it's too late.

OP
OP
M

mplslumper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The first thing I did with my new Tahoe was to permanently disable engine Stop-Start technology in order to extend engine life, and improve safety. Then I permanently disable Daytime Running Lights. Then remove all things Google to the maximum extent possible. Regarding Oil, I've been doing the following for decades with great success. I change the oil at 500 miles, then at 3,000 miles, I change the oil every 3,000 miles in the future.
Thank you for your reply. How do you permanently disable the engine Stop-Start technology?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar