question on MPG before and after AFM delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another source of failure from what my mechanic told me is the lifter tray. These plastic trays can crack and cause the lifter to rotate, getting stuck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another source of failure from what my mechanic told me is the lifter tray. These plastic trays can crack and cause the lifter to rotate, getting stuck.

Good point. It's cheap insurance to replace these, AFM or not, when the heads are off and torque their retaining bolts to spec to prevent cracking them around the bolt hole. It's not that sensitive of an issue, but there are plenty of gorilla-handed mechanics.

conchasjim

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I have a collapsed lifter on the number 6 cylinder. I've had a superchips tune with the tow haul tune which includes a AFM delete. I believe it does, as I haven't seen the prompt when it would go into the V4 mode in years.
With that in mind, it seems you can still have problems even when AFM has been deleted. So, what's the point in deleting it?
Also, if I replace all the lifters with ones that don't allow AFM, i.e. Collapsible lifters, do I still need to run a deleted AFM tune?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I have a collapsed lifter on the number 6 cylinder. I've had a superchips tune with the tow haul tune which includes a AFM delete. I believe it does, as I haven't seen the prompt when it would go into the V4 mode in years.
With that in mind, it seems you can still have problems even when AFM has been deleted. So, what's the point in deleting it?
Also, if I replace all the lifters with ones that don't allow AFM, i.e. Collapsible lifters, do I still need to run a deleted AFM tune?

Less wear and tear is the point of tuning it out but it is still best to remove the system for ultimate reliability. If you're going to delete it, you must run a tune with it disabled or it'll throw codes. You must get a new camshaft, non AFM. When you start a new thread about collecting parts and selecting a cam, remind us of the year of your truck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You disabled it with your tune, but didn't delete it which is going into the motor and removing the components. As James said, it's a midpoint way to hopefully buy you more time by not letting the system activate. It's better than nothing, but the crappy lifters are still in place and are still prone to failure, as you have experienced. Do you mean that your Superchips tune only disables AFM when in Tow/Haul mode?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You disabled it with your tune, but didn't delete it which is going into the motor and removing the components. As James said, it's a midpoint way to hopefully buy you more time by not letting the system activate. It's better than nothing, but the crappy lifters are still in place and are still prone to failure, as you have experienced. Do you mean that your Superchips tune only disables AFM when in Tow/Haul mode?
Thats a first......;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900