question on MPG before and after AFM delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacem

Reaction score
what an idiotic failure by GM. They had to take a good engine and screw it up big time without admitting it.

Mine sucks oil by the gallon. Half a quart of oil every two fillups. Or 600 miles. Ridiculous doesn't begin to describe it.

When I bought the car (used), it didn't register any oil at all on the dipstick. Had to add 2.5 quarts. Because you have to add oil on a weekly basis and evidently the PO wasn't checking it often enough.

I mean they are a multi-billion "dollar" corporation, they should act better than some garage start-up on a shoe-string budget and really test their stuff before releasing it to the public. They dropped the ball on it. There is a reason why used auto market heavily discounts GM versus say other brands. Becase you may need to put several thousand into it when you get it. Case in point, engine mounts, another glorious design failure.

I am going to turn off the stupid 4-cyl mode and just hope it hasn't caused issues already. 162K miles and 5000 hours on 5.3L.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what an idiotic failure by GM. They had to take a good engine and screw it up big time without admitting it.

Mine sucks oil by the gallon. Half a quart of oil every two fillups. Or 600 miles. Ridiculous doesn't begin to describe it.

When I bought the car (used), it didn't register any oil at all on the dipstick. Had to add 2.5 quarts. Because you have to add oil on a weekly basis and evidently the PO wasn't checking it often enough.

I mean they are a multi-billion "dollar" corporation, they should act better than some garage start-up on a shoe-string budget and really test their stuff before releasing it to the public. They dropped the ball on it. There is a reason why used auto market heavily discounts GM versus say other brands. Becase you may need to put several thousand into it when you get it. Case in point, engine mounts, another glorious design failure.

I am going to turn off the stupid 4-cyl mode and just hope it hasn't caused issues already. 162K miles and 5000 hours on 5.3L.

@conchasjim .....im just waiting for more replies so i dont have to explain....to you....

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to have our AFM lifters replaced around 150-160K. Now have almost 200K on it. Need to see if my friend at the dealership can do the delete instead of having to get a tune since my wife drives it just to take the kids to school 95% of the time. Other 5% is pulling our 24 foot enclosed trailer.

OP
OP
S

steve34459

Reaction score
2010 yukon denali, daily driver. A number of lifters failed at 60k miles. This caused camshaft damage as well. All this About 6 months after getting it. Fast foward 14 months . 4 lifters failed, but no one camshaft damage. Afm/dod can cause engine damage if not repaired.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
In GMs defense.... it's the F'ing EPA that causes them to put all this Bullsh!t on these trucks in order to meet there standards. Not that it's not a bad design but if it weren't for them they wouldn't have to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14