question on MPG before and after AFM delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the lifter issue was fixed on 2011+ with a design change (I believe I read it on one of those online magazine 5.3 builds like hot rods or something). Any tune can disable AFM (canned or shop). I disabled it on my 2011 for a bit, and my DIC showed an small MPG drop. I didn't like the hard ass shifts so I went back to stock. Never measured it by hand though. I don't worry too much about MPGs these days, and I would pull it again if I had an exhaust (just to avoid 2 tone sound)...

MistyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a first. Kill the engine huh. Explain please.

This is what happens. We just had to do a complete overhaul on our engine to delete the AFM. it’s a joke. My engine runs so much better now. There’s a website I can direct you to that explains how to do it and all the parts needed.

A79F694A-643A-4CC1-8E40-795C5BC80026.png

MistyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a few times that I have caught the Range not working, very few but a few. You are correct that the real problem is unreliable lifters. But if AFM is never called for, then the lifter never collapses and never has a chance to stick.

I checked with an engine builder who does a true AFM delete by changing the camshaft and replacing AFM lifters with non-AFM lifters as well as AFM delete tuning. However, the cost was almost as much as a replacement engine.

We just did this. Complete overhaul. Complete AFM delete and computer reprogramming. My husband did the work. The parts equaled less than $1000 with the fluids. Here’s a website that shows all the needed parts and where to get them. Cheaper to do it yourself if you know how. Send your computer to the guy on the website and he deletes the AFM. DRawback is you have to make sure no mechanic ever plugs your computer in because it will override your delete.

http://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock replacement camshaft mentioned, 12625437, is smaller than the two cams offered for the 5.3 LC9 and may also apply to the LMG. The LY5 was discontinued and I believe only had the earlier cam profile.

From 2007-2009 their camshaft was 12593207 and its profile was 193-193 .482-.482 116
From 2010-2011 their camshaft was 12625436 and its profile was 196-201 .467-.479 116

The former had flat top pistons while the latter had valves reliefs.

The 12625437 camshaft profile is 190-191 .466-.457 114

When I do my truck's motor, an LC9, I'll probably go with an LY6/L96 cam or one from the L9H.

Please do let us know how your truck runs and feels after it's up and running again and which camshaft you ultimately used.

Last edited:

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
anyone on the forum do programming? Anyone local to Michigan, Detroit or surrounding area?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone on the forum do programming? Anyone local to Michigan, Detroit or surrounding area?

Black Bear does them through email. They have a couple of different options, check them out. They're sponsors located to the right of every page. Second one down.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after my custom tune w afm delete, I have gained about an mpg with spirited driving on 93 octane. Lose afm any way you can...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked at their delete kit and others. It's important to select the parts that you want as there are many options and pay attention to the details and offerings. TSP offers OE LS7 "Style" lifters, well, I might want actual LS7 lifters. I might want to bump my compression ratio by using a thinner head gasket too if possible for example.

I have considered that cam and others and they seem much too large for my liking. I will admit that I'm fairly ignorant on the subject and thus err on the side of being conservative. My preference now is not to have lift over .500 and the exhaust duration under 212. However, I talk to a fella on another forum and he swears by that cam (TSP Stage 2 LL) and says he's installed hundreds of them over the years.

Conversely, if memory of the conversation I had with Justin at BlackBear is right, his thinking was like mine and not to choose a cam with an exhaust duration of not more than 210 or so and keep the lift not much more than stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645