question on MPG before and after AFM delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
It’s not a MPG gain it’s really more of a how much oil you retained because you disabled that ****** system

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I have a collapsed lifter on the number 6 cylinder. I've had a superchips tune with the tow haul tune which includes a AFM delete. I believe it does, as I haven't seen the prompt when it would go into the V4 mode in years.
With that in mind, it seems you can still have problems even when AFM has been deleted. So, what's the point in deleting it?
Also, if I replace all the lifters with ones that don't allow AFM, i.e. Collapsible lifters, do I still need to run a deleted AFM tune?

you will also need to replace the cam, the lobes on the stock cam are ground to be used with afm lifters.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a MPG gain it’s really more of a how much oil you retained because you disabled that ****** system

I forgot all about the oil savings in mine! This should be interesting in 3,000 more miles.

BTW, My MPG so far is two tenths higher at 16.4 since having it disabled. But, it's only been 2 days.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geez I have a heavy foot, 10.6mpg is about as good as it gets for me city/hwy combined, I think it cropped up with 12-14 on long highway drives once

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were those Denalis rated for, 12 city 19 highway? At a constant speed between lights in city driving, mine shows 23-26mpg between 40 and 45 mph. I have my truck's original window sticker and the mileage ratings are blank. Can't look it up on Fuel Economy dot Gov website either. That being said, the mileage actually improved some with the tune and turning off AFM.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think mine is rated for 12/18 but im not 100% sure off hand (awd) takes it down a notch right off the top

conchasjim

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm really confused. Seems the quick and easy way is to just replace the AFM lifters with new ones, replace the trays and leave the cam? Then just run my superchips tune with the AFM feature disabled? Then sell this POS Chevy and buy a Toyota? LOL . I love the Tahoe, have had 3 older ones, but what a POS Chevy this turned out to be. And it only has 65K on it. NIGHTMARE?....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I'm really confused. Seems the quick and easy way is to just replace the AFM lifters with new ones, replace the trays and leave the cam? Then just run my superchips tune with the AFM feature disabled? Then sell this POS Chevy and buy a Toyota? LOL . I love the Tahoe, have had 3 older ones, but what a POS Chevy this turned out to be. And it only has 65K on it. NIGHTMARE?....

You can replace the AFM lifters with new AFM lifters and you'll be back to where you were, assuming the collapsed lifter is the only failure/damage. This will leave the AFM system usable should you or a new owner want to return the tune to stock, or keep the Superchips tune and enable the AFM.

Or, if you want to keep the Tahoe and while you're in there replacing lifters, replace them with regular/non-AFM lifters and take a few steps more and replace the cam with a stock or mild performance cam. I think there's another AFM part you'd need to replace with it's non-AFM counterpart- maybe the valley cover?

Deleting AFM 'should' make your motor just as reliable as the Gen3 version.

conchasjim

Reaction score
Less wear and tear is the point of tuning it out but it is still best to remove the system for ultimate reliability. If you're going to delete it, you must run a tune with it disabled or it'll throw codes. You must get a new camshaft, non AFM. When you start a new thread about collecting parts and selecting a cam, remind us of the year of your truck.

Mine is a 2007 LTZ, 2WD, 65k miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts