Prices Paid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a 2017 Tahoe LT 4x4 with luxury and midnight package. Sticker was 63 and change and I paid 55240 out the door before taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems that 10-15% off of msrp is the normal range. I got around 11% off but I did a factory order and I'm not wasting my time haggling over a couple grand. I sent an email to a couple dealers, told them what I wanted to do (special order) and the price I wanted and the one that got closest got my order. No time fussing around on lots and playing 'let me see what my manager thinks'.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't go to the lots to haggle. Do it all over the phone. Otherwise you'll waste an entire day and still walk away. The deal I got took me about a week. Price wasn't hard to get, getting 37k for my trade that I paid 38 for new was the tough part. Dealer I bought from was 5.5 hours away and they met me with the Tahoe on a trailer half way. Never even stepped foot on the lot.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't go to the lots to haggle. Do it all over the phone. Otherwise you'll waste an entire day and still walk away. The deal I got took me about a week. Price wasn't hard to get, getting 37k for my trade that I paid 38 for new was the tough part. Dealer I bought from was 5.5 hours away and they met me with the Tahoe on a trailer half way. Never even stepped foot on the lot.

I like how you did business there. I don't do the haggle game at the dealership on the new truck. That price is worked out before I go. I have had to go back and forth in trade value a few times though. The last 4 vehicles I've bought, I get financing through my credit union at rates that the dealers cannot match, which takes the finance mgr bs out of the dealership process.

Last edited:

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always negotiate pricing via email first. Then I try to get them to commit to a ballpark figure on the trade-in. Usually it's then a little bit of haggling at the dealership over final trade-in value and interest rate on the loan, then off to sign the paperwork. I'm sure the dealerships have always come out ahead at the end of the day but doing things this way, I have always walked away feeling good about my deals.

Reaction score
2015 Denali XL
Black, captain chairs, 22s, rear entertainment, trailering, weathertech mats.
Early model - no apple car play or charging pad.

44K miles, I paid $48,500 traveling to CT

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, details?
I had a 2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5 with the TRD off-road package. Paid 38 for it, sticker was 43. I took it around to a couple dealers here to have them look at it. They came in at 35 first, talked them up to 36. Dealer I got my truck from came in at 33500 first, then came up to 35,500 and they were firm at that price. Told the dealer that I had a relationship through work with, if they could get that Tahoe from the dealer I ended up buying from, sell me the truck at the same price, and give me 37 on the trade we'd have a deal.

This dealer called that dealer saying they had a buyer for the Tahoe. Very next day the salesman called me back and said, "I know I said 35,500 was the best we could do, but the owner told my manager we better take this deal and move this Tahoe before someone else requests it."

I'm a wheeler and dealer when it comes to buying new vehicles and trading them in or selling them. I honestly don't think I could have even got private party to pay any higher than the 37k, and I think the dealership will struggle selling it for much more. I wanted 19k difference out of my truck. No dealer around here would do less than 20k difference. I ended up with 18k when all was said and done, and it only took me a week.

Once you step foot on their lot they have you, and they know it. You've now invested time, so they will keep you as long as they can so you don't want to have wasted a day. Doing it by phone makes them hold nothing over you, making them meet you now makes them invested as well because they just paid a driver. That eliminates the whole bait and switch or the "oh, well looks like you have a rock chip here, we can only give you 35 now." These guys hadn't even seen my truck, other than pictures.

The key to remember with dealerships is everything is negotiable. I even negotiated my interest rates down 1/4% from their initial offer.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that's why the depreciation rate (especially first year) is so terrible for these? Depreciation rate is based on MRSP but clearly no one ever pays that and get sometimes $10k+ off MRSP for the non-base trims. After the huge hit on first year depreciation, years 2-5 don't seem that bad based on Edmunds total cost of ownership figures.

I know with Toyota the only time you'll ever get close to 10% off is if it's a leftover and new model year is already hitting the lots.... and that's a rarity I think. I think mid to maybe mid-high single digits % is the best you'll do.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPKennny