Power running board fix discovered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbg1957

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2018 yukon denali.xl with power running boards. I bought it used last year, and didn't realize that I could've continued to look for one without them. Living in WI, I figured they'd give me trouble with the winter weather. Sure enough, for the last 3 months the passenger side board mostly stayed extended, even when I sprayed the gunk out of the hinges. It would clunk multiple times, but not retract consistently.
I asked the dealer and my body shop, and both wanted to replace the motor for about 1k, I think.
Today I was at menards and grabbed some 3-1 garage door lube. I had just washed the truck yesterday at the manual car wash, so the hinges were clean. I gave them a good spray of the garage door lube, and within minutes, it started working exactly as it should. It irritates the hell out of me that the dealer was just going to make me waste a thousand bucks for something this simple!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this and what solved your issue.

The power retractable running boards are definitely a love hate thing. IMO they look so much better than the standard fixed running boards when they're retracted and not in use. Additionally, I find them to be significantly more functional when they are extended and you need them because they're positioned slightly farther away from the vehicle (when extended) than the fixed running boards. Because of this I find it easier to actually have more solid footing when standing on them getting kids and gear in/out of the vehicle.

Just like any other moving part they do need to be cleaned and maintained if you want them to stay functioning. You've done the best two things you can do; Keep the hinges clean and free of debris and build up the best you can and lubricate the hinges. I'd recommend keeping them lubricated as routine maintenance, and more often in the winter months.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Thank you for posting your solution to your issue. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2018 yukon denali.xl with power running boards. I bought it used last year, and didn't realize that I could've continued to look for one without them. Living in WI, I figured they'd give me trouble with the winter weather. Sure enough, for the last 3 months the passenger side board mostly stayed extended, even when I sprayed the gunk out of the hinges. It would clunk multiple times, but not retract consistently.
I asked the dealer and my body shop, and both wanted to replace the motor for about 1k, I think.
Today I was at menards and grabbed some 3-1 garage door lube. I had just washed the truck yesterday at the manual car wash, so the hinges were clean. I gave them a good spray of the garage door lube, and within minutes, it started working exactly as it should. It irritates the hell out of me that the dealer was just going to make me waste a thousand bucks for something this simple!
Welcome from a fellow WI guy. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
R

rbg1957

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for reading my post. I want to mention I did try wd 40, and even penetrating oil before. Neither did a thing. It's only because I needed the garage door lube for my overhead doors in my polebarn that I bought it, and a lightbulb went on. If you think about it, the garage door track lube is working on a very similar mechanism and needs to stay where you put it to be effective. I'm not saying I'll never need a new motor, but if this helps get another year or 2 out of them, that'll be well worth it.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Irritating as hell on the dealer part but that’s the name of the game. They won’t try to service something that isn’t serviceable with the worry of you coming back and telling them it didn’t work and that they need to fix it! Replacement almost guarantees you won’t be revisiting that problem again for a long time.

With that being said, I’m gonna look into the garage door grease, my passenger side isn’t sticking yet but definitely doesn’t sound as smooth as it should.

Eups_73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI make sure you use dry lubricant. I figured that out after using regular WD40 and still having problems. I learned this after going on AMP running boards website and that's what they recommend.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Irritating as hell on the dealer part but that’s the name of the game. They won’t try to service something that isn’t serviceable with the worry of you coming back and telling them it didn’t work and that they need to fix it! Replacement almost guarantees you won’t be revisiting that problem again for a long time.

With that being said, I’m gonna look into the garage door grease, my passenger side isn’t sticking yet but definitely doesn’t sound as smooth as it should.

Correct, a dealer (or any shop) can’t guarantee that “repair.” If they did that and charged you, once it starts acting up again in a week, you’d be back in there shouting that they ripped you off. The customers have made it this way. No one can try and help the customer out because when it doesn’t work out, the customer still thinks they’ve been ripped off. So, if they're going to think they got ripped off regardless of what is done, at least do the repair that will keep them from coming back.

arkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealer turned me onto Kroil penetrating oil.
Haven’t had any more trouble with regular use.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Makes me want to duct tape a can of Kroil to the underside of my truck and take it in for the p/s that’s not working.

I’ll leave a note in plastic bag that says $1000 fix. Pls spray on hinges liberally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019