Factory power running boards, 2018 Tahoe Priemer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

v8doctor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe Premier with the factory power running boards, The drivers side running board will not extend at times, and also will not retract at times. Has been at the Chevrolet dealership 4 times and they have kept it there over 4 weeks total and still have not repaired the problem. Passenger side works like it is supposed to, but drivers side now acts up 80% of the time when either the drivers door or the rear drivers side door is opened. Has anyone else had problems like this? And does anyone have access to wiring schematics for the running board system. Thanks, V8doctor

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe Premier with the factory power running boards, The drivers side running board will not extend at times, and also will not retract at times. Has been at the Chevrolet dealership 4 times and they have kept it there over 4 weeks total and still have not repaired the problem. Passenger side works like it is supposed to, but drivers side now acts up 80% of the time when either the drivers door or the rear drivers side door is opened. Has anyone else had problems like this? And does anyone have access to wiring schematics for the running board system. Thanks, V8doctor
Based on my experiences with them in my 2013, it’s probably not a wiring issue but more likely the hinges are binding up due to dirt and possible mis-alignment.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @wjburken.

So it’s been at the dealership 4 times for a total of 4 weeks…

Care to share what their findings have been? What has been the dealerships diagnosis? What’s the dealerships recommended solution?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's dirt or loops die. I advise you to go to the sink to push the thresholds, and directly actively rinse the hinges under pressure. after that, take any liquid oil (I use bicycle chain oil) and drip from both sides on each loop. after which you need to make the thresholds work (open and close the doors, helping the thresholds move with your hands) Should help. If not, then most likely a replacement of the mechanism

markni12301

Reaction score
2015 Yukon here, I soak hinges with PB Blaster and clean them out with a wire brush that reaches and gets into the hinges - after every oil change. That's the penance I've accepted for having the power retractable running boards.
There are YouTube videos that show this fix and similar for seemingly non-working boards that might address your problem.

OP
OP
V

v8doctor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After I finally pulled the vehicle out of the dealership, and started working on it myself, I find that they did nothing after the initial repair that did not fix it. I was told by the service writer that they couldn't duplicate the problem. However, each time I took it to them, the running board wouldn't operate, and when I picked it up, the running board did not operate.

OP
OP
V

v8doctor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Based on my experiences with them in my 2013, it’s probably not a wiring issue but more likely the hinges are binding up due to dirt and possible mis-alignment.

Matt97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2017 has the same issue....passenger side is more sporadic than the drivers side. And sometime its tied to remote start, they won't open.

OP
OP
V

v8doctor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: I have pressure washed the running board hinges and soaked them in penetrating lubricant. This did not stop the problem, nor did it change the operation, nonoperation of the board. I have also disconnected the wiring connector at the running board motor, checked terminal fit and packed it with dialectic grease. For 3 days it operated normally every time the door was opened and closed. Now it has started acting up again so I will be back under it again as soon as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar