Please in the name of all that is right, can we get rid of the triple honk already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wifes Impala honks, I think just when the car is running and the key fob in the car but it may do it regardless of the where the fob is, I do not drive it enough to remember...

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so you are all blaming the vehicle for alerting you "hey dummy, you are walking away from a $70k vehicle with the key in the ignition... Do you want me to get stolen?!?"

Just take the key with you and your honking problem will be solved. Or as someone suggested, use the remote start feature.
Some of us don't have ignition keys! So that wouldn't apply.

:cool:

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you hot wired and stole your current car, every single one of us has an ignition key...
It's a fob... There are no key cylinders or ignition locks--it's push to start. So there is no ignition "key"

:bleh:

13yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google all the instances where people have pulled in there garage forgetting about the start/stop button or failing to push it correctly and families found them the next morning. Death by CO2. Of course that also happened long before the start stop button, it's just now they have a feature to blame a regulation to create and vehicle that can honk its own horn

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so you are all blaming the vehicle for alerting you "hey dummy, you are walking away from a $70k vehicle with the key in the ignition... Do you want me to get stolen?!?"

Just take the key with you and your honking problem will be solved. Or as someone suggested, use the remote start feature.

no it wont...
its a key fob that is in my pocket when i get out.

Denada

Reaction score
It's a fob... There are no key cylinders or ignition locks--it's push to start. So there is no ignition "key"

:bleh:

Here, let me help you out because you're obviously new to cars..

ig·ni·tion
iɡˈniSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the action of setting something on fire or starting to burn.
    "three minutes after ignition, the flames were still growing"
    • the process of starting the combustion of fuel in the cylinders of an internal combustion engine.
    • the mechanism for bringing about ignition in an internal-combustion engine, typically activated by a key or switch.
There are absolutely no requirements that an ignition contain mechanical locks or cylinders. The fob is really called a "key fob" and if you don't think it's an ignition key - push to start or not - I invite you to try and start the ignition (which is how GM refers to it in the Denali owner's mamual) in your car without it.

Denada

Reaction score
no it wont...
its a key fob that is in my pocket when i get out.

I'm not understanding this reply. No it won't what? If you take your key with you your car shouldn't triple honk. And if you do take your key fob and your car is running I hope you at least spend the 2 seconds needed to lock it!

At any rate, those not experiencing intended behavior may have 2015s vs 2016s perhaps? Because similar to another poster my 2016 behaves as well.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not understanding this reply. No it won't what? If you take your key with you your car shouldn't triple honk. And if you do take your key fob and your car is running I hope you at least spend the 2 seconds needed to lock it!
No. If you leave the vehicle with the key fob in your pocket while it is running and close the door, it triple honks.
My key always remains in my pocket, it never comes out until I take it out to unlock the door to our house.
Times of annoyance (all while the truck is left running)- getting out to get our mail, hopping out to check the straps on our atv/boat, hopping out to hand my daughter's lunch to her that she forgot prior to boarding the bus, running into the garage to grab something before leaving,...these are only instances off the top of my head but it happens more often than that.
Sure I could turn the truck off every time prior to exiting or leave the drivers door hang open.
But you guys can't tell me you never leave your truck running while you jump out to get something real quick.
And no, it cannot be stolen while doing such because the key is out of the vehicle.

I guess I have noticed these instances more during the past couple cold weather months.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, let me help you out because you're obviously new to cars..

ig·ni·tion
iɡˈniSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the action of setting something on fire or starting to burn.
    "three minutes after ignition, the flames were still growing"
    • the process of starting the combustion of fuel in the cylinders of an internal combustion engine.
    • the mechanism for bringing about ignition in an internal-combustion engine, typically activated by a key or switch.
There are absolutely no requirements that an ignition contain mechanical locks or cylinders. The fob is really called a "key fob" and if you don't think it's an ignition key - push to start or not - I invite you to try and start the ignition (which is how GM refers to it in the Denali owner's mamual) in your car without it.

Okay Mr None smarty pants. Key definition:

noun
  1. 1.
    a small piece of shaped metal with incisions cut to fit the wards of a particular lock, and that is inserted into a lock and turned to open or close it.
  2. 2.
    each of several buttons on a panel for operating a computer, typewriter, or telephone.
SHOW ME! Since I am so new, please SHOW ME all your knowledge...!!! My first car was a 1964 Olds. When was the last time you adjusted front drum brakes? Or points? Or a microswitch for a switch-pitch torque convertor? Do you know what a carburetor is?

I should know better than to argue an idiot, but whatever. Congrats on derailing an otherwise good topic.

:biggun:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diggler9366