Please in the name of all that is right, can we get rid of the triple honk already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt I love my Yukon Denali.
But if anyone reading this has any pull with GM, would they please put a bug in someone's ear to get rid of the triple honk when exiting the truck with it running? Every other feature can be turned on or off.

It is a shame an $80K SUV needs to sound like a '90's Ford Explorer locking the doors' every time I exit it with the engine running.

The informative horn honk is way underclass for such a nice vehicle.

jackedupZ71

Reaction score
i was thinking there was a setting that could turn off the alert if you get out and leave it running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope to both. My wife's '13 explorer does it as well--Federal safety feature that is sure to kill people by scaring the $h*t out of them!

It is very obnoxious on ALL vehicles! Exit and close the door-HONK HONK! Exit and then get back in and close the door--HONK HONK!

Just be sure to do it early in the morning around your neighbors!

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Disconnect wires to horn. Wire horn to button on dashboard. Although disconnecting the horn will probably generate a trouble code.....lol.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's such a cheezy 'feature'.
It always attracts everyone's attention. So most of the time I just end up leaving the drivers door hang open which is even more odd.

bmwman3241

Reaction score
This happens with the truck running and when you exit?
Doesn't happen to me. I leave the truck on and run into the office/house or even gas station all the time and I have never had my Denali honk on me.
Only thing that bothers me is that I can't lock the vehicle with the button on the door handle when the trucks running, but only with the key fob.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I don't quite understand why that is. It's my understanding it is an OE feature that cannot be removed.
You have a '15/'16 model correct? You have the key fob in your pocket when you exit?

I wonder how you circumvented this issue?

bmwman3241

Reaction score
It's a 2016 Yukon XL Denali.

I tried it in the morning and made a small video to show but can't figure out how to upload it. Basically I just started the truck with the key in my hand, opened the door, walked out, closed the door with the key still in my hand and walked away. No honks or anything.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine honks as well, if you close door while running.

i worked w/ sales guy to go thru all options... no way to turn it off

maybe someone can come up w/ a software update

Denada

Reaction score
Hmm, so you are all blaming the vehicle for alerting you "hey dummy, you are walking away from a $70k vehicle with the key in the ignition... Do you want me to get stolen?!?"

Just take the key with you and your honking problem will be solved. Or as someone suggested, use the remote start feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645