Passenger door adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple proceedure to adjust my passenger door. The latch side of the door is down about 1/2 inch from the striker on the body side door pillar. If I slam the door closed it latches but not exact. It takes some force to close the door. I lifted up on the latch end of the door and it has a small amount of play. Im going to check Alldata but wanted to see if there were some thoughts of wisdom first. Thanks.

Blue 04 Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the hinge bushings on the door? I had a similar problem but it was only 1/8 or so out. I put new bushings and pins in and it cleared up the problem.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ive never replaced the bushings. I assumed the body shop did that since it's a new door. Even if I were to put new bushings in I can only lift up on the door maybe 1/8 inch. That's not nearly enough slack to fix the alignment with new bushings. It seems more likely that all i need to do is just adjust the door. I'll check the manual and let you know what I find.

CTown LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, a half inch is a lot, especially if a body shop just replaced it. How are the gaps along the body panels when closed? Is it possible that just the latch/hook on the door needs to be adjustedm

Why not take it back to the body shop and let them deal with it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blue 04 Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ive never replaced the bushings. I assumed the body shop did that since it's a new door. Even if I were to put new bushings in I can only lift up on the door maybe 1/8 inch. That's not nearly enough slack to fix the alignment with new bushings. It seems more likely that all i need to do is just adjust the door. I'll check the manual and let you know what I find.

If it's a new door it's bent. A new door should not be 1/2 out. Need be put a block of wood and use a floor jack to bend the hinges on the door back. It's been done on the OBS style trucks because of the non adjustable hinges.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it line up when you can close it? You can adjust the striker slightly, i did on my ‘01 but it sounds more like something isn’t right on hinge side like @CTown LTZ said 1/2 is alot and i would bring it back to body shop who hung the door

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remove the striker then the door just touches the rear door near the top. I'll take before and after pictures.

If I take it back to the body shop they will just mess something else up. I'll go there if all else fails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked at the door again. I measured 1/4 sag. So the hinges need new pins and bushings for sure. But the price for two bushing kits is around $80...arhg!

CTown LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the door is open fully, if you lift up on the outside edge, is there that much play/slop in the door?

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the door is open fully, if you lift up on the outside edge, is there that much play/slop in the door?

Yes. It's 1/4 inch of play. If i bring the door up close without latching it i can see that it would touch the rear door.

I'll post a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk