Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sleptinacoffin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 tahoe was broken into when I let my mom drive it. They only took her purse and not the truck. They left a deep cut in the keyhole of the drivers side handle. I want to know if I can easily install a passenger side door handle to the drivers side to prevent people from just messing with the lock and breaking in.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they are interchangeable. The mounting will be different side to side due to the shape of the handle. They are cheap enough, I'd just put the correct one in and then everything will work properly

OP
OP
S

Sleptinacoffin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't believe they are interchangeable. The mounting will be different side to side due to the shape of the handle. They are cheap enough, I'd just put the correct one in and then everything will work properly
Yes but the reason I dont want to put the correct one is because I do not want a keyhole. The keyhole leaves me vulnerable to getting broken in.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the rear door on the same side would be interchangeable? No key hole there. Been a few years since I had that body, but others may chime in who have that style

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is even possible, you would need to see if the driver's side rear handle would transfer or bolt in. I have never been asked that before.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you do disable for the key tumbler, you better have extra key fobs, in case.

Plus, on the driver's door handle assembly there are two rod/linkage attachments, one for the latch and one for the key tumbler. The driver's side rear may be set up differently because it is only set up for the latch rod/linkage and therefore the handle assembly may not attach the same way and would not work. Just a guess.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vulnerability still may exist, assuming you want to open the door from the inside. Placing a plastic cover there means they only need to break through that to open the door. I've had 4-5 attempts, AT MY HOUSE!!! -- so all mine have an alarm on them, with GPS.

Almost forgot: if they can't get through the door lock, they can just go through the window.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with @S33k3r A handle is way easier to fix than a window. Just accept it and move on with the new, correct one. Plus, what happens when your fob dies on a trip, or during crappy weather, and you don't have a new battery readily available? I always like having a backup option
:2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019