P0796 and others, while 59 miles from home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a whopping 117k
When you have the work done, watch out. Some transmission shops will bypass the factory coolers (typically there is one in the radiator end tank and one aux cooler in front of the radiator, plumbed in series) and install a single new aux cooler. The problem with that approach is that it'll result in higher transmission temps because proper fluid cooling on these depends on the first cut of heat to be taken out by the oil-to-water cooler in the radiator end tank. It also serves to warm the fluid in extremely cold weather. If this transmission failed the way many of them do, it started with the lockup clutch in the converter spreading debris through the rest of the system. So, because it's pretty near impossible to get all of the abrasive debris out of the coolers and lines, shops just bypass the factory coolers with a new aux cooler. If there's debris in the system, the proper way is to install a new Denso (OEM mfr) radiator, along with a new aux cooler and new lines throughout.

OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
When you have the work done, watch out. Some transmission shops will bypass the factory coolers (typically there is one in the radiator end tank and one aux cooler in front of the radiator, plumbed in series) and install a single new aux cooler. The problem with that approach is that it'll result in higher transmission temps because proper fluid cooling on these depends on the first cut of heat to be taken out by the oil-to-water cooler in the radiator end tank. It also serves to warm the fluid in extremely cold weather. If this transmission failed the way many of them do, it started with the lockup clutch in the converter spreading debris through the rest of the system. So, because it's pretty near impossible to get all of the abrasive debris out of the coolers and lines, shops just bypass the factory coolers with a new aux cooler. If there's debris in the system, the proper way is to install a new Denso (OEM mfr) radiator, along with a new aux cooler and new lines throughout.
It's going back to the dealership to be done. For the first time in the history of ever, an extended warranty is paying off.

HOPEFULLY, they'll do it the way you said. I'm going to bring them a Circle D 3200 to put in it. I'll be installing a TruCool afterwards, also.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Dealership + Extended Warranty / Service Contract means also bring brown paper bag w/ 12pk beer or 4-5 best hamburgers in town for the tech & service writer. Huge job for a dealer tech.

You’ll want him doing grilled onion burps while he’s messing with the broken exh mani bolts to remind him it’s worth it. Good time to bring in those ARP exh mani bolts, motor mounts & xfer case dog bones w/ new bushings too.

Yea, dealer techs hate working on our old trucks, especially if it’s a 2-3 day job. LOL

DLR will not warranty trans w/ anything other than factory spec. Fluids. They want to but can’t claim their own warranty if invoices state otherwise.

OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
Dealership + Extended Warranty / Service Contract means also bring brown paper bag w/ 12pk beer or 4-5 best hamburgers in town for the tech & service writer. Huge job for a dealer tech.

You’ll want him doing grilled onion burps while he’s messing with the broken exh mani bolts to remind him it’s worth it. Good time to bring in those ARP exh mani bolts, motor mounts & xfer case dog bones w/ new bushings too.

Yea, dealer techs hate working on our old trucks, especially if it’s a 2-3 day job. LOL

DLR will not warranty trans w/ anything other than factory spec. Fluids. They want to but can’t claim their own warranty if invoices state otherwise.
I just planned on figuring out who the tech is and leaving him $100 in an envelope. lol

Do the motor mounts have to come out to get the trans out? If so, I have some AFP mounts I've been putting off installing.

Good point on the ARP exhaust manifold studs. I'll get those ordered.

I'm not familiar with the t-case dog bone. Got a link?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just planned on figuring out who the tech is and leaving him $100 in an envelope. lol

Do the motor mounts have to come out to get the trans out? If so, I have some AFP mounts I've been putting off installing.

Good point on the ARP exhaust manifold studs. I'll get those ordered.

I'm not familiar with the t-case dog bone. Got a link?
front differential mounts w/bushings,
GM# 23104735 & 23104736 is what I installed in my 2007 AWD Denali
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/shaking-above-65.136496/#post-1709967

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019