Overheating towing with Denali 6.2L - Losing my F'n mind!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man there are some real plausable explanations throughout this thread.
I am wondering about the oil pressure issue. Seems like a likely possiblility. Towing can elevate oil temp, which can also lower viscosity and pressure. Roll out of the throttle and come to a stop at lower rpm, and the oil pressure further drops, to a point where maybe a sensor issues or the lifters maybe won't pump up? If it were cutting because it sensed low oil pressure, there should be a code. Plus, I don't think it will cut the engine with low oil pressure. I had a bad sensor, and it would show 0 on the gauge and not kill it. But it did show a code.
One other thing that can further lower oil pressure is lower crankcase pressure....which could happen at higher altitudes, as the crankcase is not entirely sealed. On our race engines, as soon as we throw a vacuum pump on them, the oil pressure drops a bit.
But, I would think you would hear the lifters rattle as long as the radio was off and the blower not overly high.
Just a thought.
Maybe if this is it, a bit higher viscosity oil could get you by when towing?
I might be way out in left field though. It happens.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man there are some real plausable explanations throughout this thread.
I am wondering about the oil pressure issue. Seems like a likely possiblility. Towing can elevate oil temp, which can also lower viscosity and pressure. Roll out of the throttle and come to a stop at lower rpm, and the oil pressure further drops, to a point where maybe a sensor issues or the lifters maybe won't pump up? If it were cutting because it sensed low oil pressure, there should be a code. Plus, I don't think it will cut the engine with low oil pressure. I had a bad sensor, and it would show 0 on the gauge and not kill it. But it did show a code.
One other thing that can further lower oil pressure is lower crankcase pressure....which could happen at higher altitudes, as the crankcase is not entirely sealed. On our race engines, as soon as we throw a vacuum pump on them, the oil pressure drops a bit.
But, I would think you would hear the lifters rattle as long as the radio was off and the blower not overly high.
Just a thought.
Maybe if this is it, a bit higher viscosity oil could get you by when towing?
I might be way out in left field though. It happens.

I do noticed a very slight rattle (if you can call it that) when I first get is started up after overheating. Don't know how else to describe it really, just a rough start. I run 5W30 now, how high should I bump it up to? I am in a colder climate.

I will be wrapping my fuel rails soon, have most of the fuel lines done right now. Waiting on funds for a new radiator(planning on the new expensive Mishimoto) and water pump although both seem to be operating just fine.

I will also try the bubble test for the head gasket.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I do noticed a very slight rattle (if you can call it that) when I first get is started up after overheating. Don't know how else to describe it really, just a rough start. I run 5W30 now, how high should I bump it up to? I am in a colder climate.

I will be wrapping my fuel rails soon, have most of the fuel lines done right now. Waiting on funds for a new radiator(planning on the new expensive Mishimoto) and water pump although both seem to be operating just fine.

I will also try the bubble test for the head gasket.

I'd really like to see if just wrapping the fuel rails/lines does the trick.

The only problem with changing so many things at once is you don't know what actually fixed it.... to many variables.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to see if just wrapping the fuel rails/lines does the trick.

The only problem with changing so many things at once is you don't know what actually fixed it.... to many variables.

I will be doing the wrap first, I will try and take it out and see if I can replicate the issue after that. I have seen people replace all the other stuff and not fix it so I hope this will do the trick. Time is limited right now, new baby to come next Friday!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I will be doing the wrap first, I will try and take it out and see if I can replicate the issue after that. I have seen people replace all the other stuff and not fix it so I hope this will do the trick. Time is limited right now, new baby to come next Friday!

Awesome.... I understand.... congratulations on the new addition!!!

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will you do the bubble test without a cap on the radiator?

OP
OP
R

rubicon1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back to this for quite a while. I gave up on troubleshooting this issue with my Yukon and just decided to buy a newer Tahoe. I purchased a 2015 Z71 yesterday. Head/head gasket seems like the most plausible theory at this point but I will never know for sure. I am bummed because I loved the Yukon. I feel defeated for not figuring out the issue for sure but I just ran out of patience. I think it will still be a great truck for someone who doesn't need to tow heavy trailers into the mountains. I drove it without a trailer up to Devil's head peak last Saturday and it did fine. Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. This is a great forum from what I have seen so far and I look forward to participating and contributing to the forum in the very near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas

Latest posts